An air purifier could be a lifesaver during the hot summer months and the trying allergy seasons. They are useful for filtering out a variety of allergens and airborne pollutants. Furthermore, it helps improve indoor air quality if you happen to reside in a region prone to forest fires. Here at TruePureAir.com, we’ve researched and tried a wide range of air purifiers to help you narrow down your options. There is a plethora of choices, making it challenging to evaluate the relative merits of the various frameworks.
Because there are numerous models on the market that employ diverse techniques for cleaning the air, you should consult a professional before making a purchase. Before making any air purifying purchases, you should think about your budget. Do you want to use an ionic air purifier or install a whole-house system? Would you like a purifier that uses activated carbon? I’m here to help you figure out what to do and answer your questions.
Top 10 Air Purifier Consumer Reports: Editor Recommended
The 8 Best Air Purifier Consumer Reports Review:
1. BLUEAIR Air Purifier for Home Large Room
- SIMPLE ONE-BUTTON CONTROL: Easily adjust fan as-needed with one button to...
- CLEAN AIR IN MINUTES: Blueair's HEPASilent technology, delivers clean air,...
- ONE OF THE QUIESTEST AIR PURIFIERS: Quieter (31 dB) than whisper on low; ENERGY...
- COMBAT ALLERGENS: Helps reduce allergens and pollutants that trigger allergy and...
- REMOVES ODOR & PARTICLES DOWN TO 0.1 MICRON: Ideal for smoke & smog during...
Our experts have reviewed a wide variety of Blueair air purifiers over the past few years. In 2022, the Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier is the best in removing a wide variety of air pollutants, including dust and smoke, from the air.
The fabric filter captures dust and other big particles, the real HEPA filter removes mold and germs, and the carbon-activated filter gets rid of odors from smoke and pets. Rooms up to 540 square feet in size can benefit from this, making it suitable for a family room, master bedroom, or large office, where up to 99.97% of typical airborne pollutants can be removed.
What’s even better? Because of how quietly it operates, you may not even realize it’s on. The Blue Pure 411 Auto Air Purifier was another popular choice amongst our reviewers; it is essentially a smaller and more economical version of our top pick.
- Effective three-part filtration system
- Ideal for bedrooms and home offices
- Quiet operation
- Not fit for larger spaces
2. Dreo Air Purifier Macro Pro
- Designed for Larger Rooms: Dreo Air Purifiers coupled with a pioneering...
- H13 True HEPA Filtration: H13 true HEPA filter has proven to capture 99.97% of...
- Certifications Worldwide: AHAM certified and SGS tested for the ability to clean...
- Quieter Than Breathing: Integrated airflow system smooths out air turbulence for...
- User Friendly：The filter life is measured by an advanced algorithm, will...
This Dreo air purifier, set for availability in 2022, received high marks from our researchers for both its affordability and its performance. The Dreo’s three-stage filtration system, which includes a genuine HEPA filter, effectively eliminates unpleasant odors and stale air without taking up too much room.
In a basement apartment with a dog and loads of dust, one tester observed, “It seems to have really freshened up the air.” Some users have complained about the purifier’s interface, but once they got used to it, they came to appreciate the variety of modes available, such as the three fan speeds and the sleep, turbo, and auto settings that allow the purifier to automatically adjust its output based on the air quality in the room.
- Superb price
- True HEPA filter
- Not the most intuitive interface
3. Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier
- EXTRA LARGE ROOM AIR PURIFIER - Honeywell HPA300 HEPA Air Purifier helps provide...
- HELPS REDUCE ALLERGENS - This HEPA air purifier has 3 air cleaning levels...
- EFFECTIVE AIR CLEANING AND CIRCULATION – The Honeywell HPA304 Air Purifier...
- ALLERGEN PLUS SERIES – This Honeywell HEPA Air Purifier is part of our...
- COMPATIBLE DOES NOT MEAN COMPARABLE – For best performance, use only Genuine...
Honeywell is another well-known name in the home comfort industry, and their air purifiers come in five different sizes to accommodate spaces as little as 75 square feet and as large as 3,500 square feet (500 square feet).
This medium-sized model, which was the brand’s largest before, claims to purify the air as frequently as five times an hour and to eliminate up to 99.97% of ultrafine dust and pollen (including viruses). Our team of experts found that this air purifier is an excellent option for those who suffer from allergies because of its HEPA certification and its ability to filter out airborne particles as small as 0.3 microns.
- Choose from one of five size options
- Not suited to very large spaces
4. FridaBaby 3-in-1 Sound Machine
- SLEEPY SOUNDS: Choose from two white noise options to help little ones fall...
- HEPA FILTER: Removes smoke, odors + pollution from the air
- LONG-LASTING: Easy-change air filter lasts for 90 days
- ADJUSTABLE FAN: Choose from three fan speeds with an auto-off timer
- COLOR NIGHTLIGHT: Pick from four nightlight color options to set the mood at...
Air purifiers for rooms up to 150 square feet in size, such as a baby’s nursery, have lately been made available by the innovative business Fridababy. It’s on our recommended list since it contains a sound machine and nightlight in addition to being designed to assist filter out dust mites and the like.
When it comes to our small ones, we are all for multi-functional items that can save on storage space. The sound machine and nightly features were simple to operate, and both the filter and the machine were straightforward to swap out. However, we have not yet seen the company’s testing evidence on the air purity claims.
- Three-in-one device
- Includes white noise or ocean wave sounds
- Not suitable for larger rooms
5. Alen 75i Air Purifier, Quiet Air Flow for Extra-Large Rooms
- RECOMMENDED FOR: Dust, allergens, pollen, fur, dander PLUS heavy odors from...
- B7-MP-PET FILTER: Aides in trapping mold, bacteria and fungi and has a...
- TRUE HEPA: Includes a Medical Grade H13 True HEPA layer that captures 99.99%...
- 5 AIR QUALITY COLORS: A Laser Smart Sensor detects airborne particles and...
- PERFECT GIFT WITH A RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Alen air purifiers aim to maintain...
The design of air purifiers is important in 2022 since many residences will have open floor plans. The Alen is one of the best-looking air purifiers our specialists have seen, thanks to its sleek front panel that comes in eight different colors. The unit’s impressive fan speed of up to 350 cubic feet of air per minute gives it far more cleaning power than meets the eye across a wide area of 1,300 square feet.
Particles larger than 0.1 microns are effectively filtered out by its genuine HEPA filter. According to our safety specialists, the Alen’s ionization mode is an unnecessary addition to any air purifier because it generates ozone, a lung irritant. Even without the ionization setting, the Alen should be able to effectively collect dust, pollen, smoke, and other airborne particles while maintaining its sleek appearance.
- Sleek front panel
- Robust cleaning power
- Ionization setting not recommended by our experts
6. Dyson Pure Hot + Cool Air Purifier, Heater + Fan
- Multi functionality; HEPA Air Purifier. Space heater, + fan; In one; Backward...
- Dyson technology helps create a cleaner, healthier home - Our vacuums and...
- SENSES: Automatically senses air pollution events, initiates purification, &...
- Captures: The sealed HEPA filter captures 99.97 percent of allergens as small as...
- Projects: Projects purified air throughout the whole room; Air Multiplier...
This multifunctional device can be used as a heater, a fan, or an air purifier. It has the same purifying capabilities as Dyson’s Pure Cool model, but in addition to that, it has a heater to ensure that your family is warm and comfortable during the winter.
The smart features include the ability to connect to Amazon Alexa via an Echo device and receive real-time air quality readings via the Dyson app.
- Versatile with heating and fan features
- Syncs with Alexa
- Not the most intuitive controls
7. Coway Airmega 200M True Hepa and Activated-Carbon Air Purifier
In 2022, many air cleaners will feature more than one filter. The activated-carbon layer of the Airmega’s four-stage filtering system is made to absorb scents, even those produced by a much-loved but somewhat pungent pet. The system is suitable for spaces up to about 360 square feet in size.
The simple maintenance of the pre-filter that blocks larger particles like hair and fur from reaching the inner HEPA filters was also praised by our panel of experts. The filters’ need for maintenance is signaled by LEDs that illuminate when they are dirty or worn out.
- Tough on odors
- Pre-filter minimizes maintenance
- Helpful “change filter” indicator light
- Not suited to large spaces
8. LG AeroTower Air Purifying Fan
- TRUE HEPA - The advanced True HEPA filter captures 99.97% of fine dust and...
- UVNANO LED - LG exclusive technology kills 99.9% of bacteria on fan blades**....
- LARGE COVERAGE AREA - Up to 818 sq. ft. coverage provides clean purified air...
- MULTI-DIRECTIONAL PURIFIED AIR FLOW - Choose from 10 fan speeds and 3 airflow...
- QUIET AS A WHISPER - The LG PuriCare AeroTower operates at whisper-quiet sound...
Our experts have long recognized LG as an industry leader in ground-breaking home appliances and electronics; with the AeroTower, LG is bringing that same level of inventive prowess to the realm of air purification. According to studies conducted in 2022, its innovative layout and implementation of genuine HEPA filtration successfully eliminates 99.97 percent of airborne pollutants. Even though we didn’t test it, LG claims that after just one hour of use, bacteria levels on the fan blades are significantly lower because to the device’s use of LED technology. If you want to begin purifying before you get home, the WiFi connectivity and smartphone app control will come in handy.
Cooling power is increased by the AeroTower’s 10-speed fan, which can disperse air in a focused, diffused, or wide pattern, depending on the room’s layout and your preferences. The AeroTower is the tallest air purifier we’ve tested at 44 inches, but as long as it’s going into a sizable room, its size shouldn’t be a problem. After some initial hesitance due to the tester’s lack of experience with large air purifiers, the product ultimately won them over. The volume of cool air the fan produces is great, and I really enjoy its sleek design, user-friendly interface, and clear display.
- Huge cleaning and cooling power
- Intuitive controls
- WiFi connectivity
- Large size could overwhelm smaller rooms
Buying Guide: What To Consider When Buying An Air Purifier
What size model do you require? Do you desire a “smart” device that can be operated remotely? What you should consider before making a purchase is listed below.
Consider the size of the room you intend to put the purifier in. You should check the model you’re thinking of buying against the “Air Changes per Hour” it claims to be able to handle in the room’s size.
When it comes to air purifiers, HEPA filters are top of the line. “The filter absorbs both large and microscopic particles that travel through it,” says Catherine Monteleone, M.D., professor of medicine, allergy, and immunology at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School in New Jersey. When it comes to allergies, “this type is usually suitable for usage in a single room.”
It’s called the “clean air delivery rate” (CADR) in the industry. Air filtration efficiency and air flow rate are the two factors that make up CADR, as explained by Corry. This measurement is a part of many other units. Although it is important, he believes it shouldn’t be your sole criterion when selecting an air cleaner. According to Corry, “units that circulate a lot of air but have weak filters that remove just large particles and fail to include a carbon insert will grade highly by CADR, but not clean your air very effectively at all,” regardless of how long the unit is on. If you want to get rid of dust and other tiny particles, “the best thing to do is buy a unit that is a real HEPA system.”
An air purifier isn’t something you can tuck away in a closet; for optimal performance, it needs to be in the open. Choose one that doesn’t draw too much attention to itself when displayed on a shelf, table, or the floor.
e) Various Other Characteristics
The purification process can be managed remotely with the use of a mobile app on some models of air cleaners. Some systems can be used for both heating and cooling. However, a lot of people could do without the supplementary features. You should know what you need and don’t need from your purifier before you buy it so you don’t waste money on unnecessary functions.