Just from everyday use, the carpet in your car endures a lot. It is possible that you are riding with pets and kids, or you live in an area that has a lot of rain, which can lead to mud and dirt being tracked in.
In any case, stains on your carpet are never good, and you want to keep them clean to increase your car’s resale value. It will also reduce the risk of mold forming inside the cabin.
Top 5 Best Car Floor Mats: Editor Choice
Floor mats are available in a wide variety of types, ranging from solid rubber options for better winter protection to clear ones that protect against mud. Depending on where you live, you might be better off with all-weather floor mats.
The 10 Best Car Floor Mats Review
1. WeatherTech FloorLiner HP Floor Mats
When it comes to car floor mats, WeatherTech is arguably the most well-known brand. Our top pick is its FloorLiner HP series, one of several types of mats the company offers. They’re the next generation of WeatherTech’s popular FloorLiner mats, which are custom tailored to your vehicle’s make and model.
These mats are both durable and soft thanks to the TPE (thermoplastic elastomer) material. Additionally, they can withstand extreme weather conditions without cracking, curling, or breaking. Neither latex nor PVC are present in the material, which is 100 percent recyclable. In addition to their laser measurements, their custom fit offers optimal coverage, just as if the mats had come packaged with your vehicle.
In order to keep these mats in place, WeatherTech has designed a special retention system that incorporates non-skid nibs. A beveled edge prevents them from curling inwards. The high-wall design keeps messes in the liner and off the carpet of your car. The options are plenty, just make sure the mats are made to fit your car.
- Laser measure for custom
- Precise fitment
- High-wall design
- 100-percent recyclable material
- Premium pick has a premium price tag
- TPE material isn’t for everybody
2. WeatherTech All-Weather Floor Mats
There are many styles and sizes of car interiors that can make shopping for car floor mats difficult. Several reputable manufacturers offer application-specific floor mats, but you might still have trouble finding one that fits your specific vehicle. That’s when you turn to this recommendation from WeatherTech: it’s the company’s All-Weather Floor Mats, but in a universal, trim-to-fit design.
In black, grey, and tan shades to match your interior’s color scheme, these universal mats offer protection against all the elements Mother Nature can throw at your interior. The company says the front mats are “made to fit virtually all vehicle flooring due to its unique shape and Trim-to-Fit feature.”
These floor mats feature deeply sculpted channels that trap water, road salt, mud, sand, and other elements. The non-stick finish makes cleanup easy, and the material is also designed to remain flexible even when extremely hot or cold. Anti-slip ridges are situated beneath the mats, preventing shifting. These mats are made of TPE (thermoplastic elastomer), an OEM-approved, virtually odorless latex-free material. That means they don’t contain PVC, cadmium, or lead, and they’re even 100-percent recyclable.
- Universal trim-to-fit application
- High quality construction
- Three color options
- No harmful PVCs
- Since they are universal
- Fitment won’t be perfect
- Some trimming is involved for certain vehicles
3. Rugged Ridge All Terrain Floor Mats
Mud will eventually make its way back into the cabin of an off-roader’s vehicle, so Rugged Ridge’s All Terrain Floor Mats are an attractive option if you’re looking for protection against it. We manufacture these mats with state-of-the-art technology to ensure an accurate, customized fit for your truck or SUV.
The mats feature a 3/8-inch tread, which is more than twice the height of a typical vacuum-formed mat. The auto-sealing floor hooks prevent debris from getting in, while high perimeter walls provide an almost unmatched level of spill containment and interior protection.
Furthermore, the product has rolled and reinforced lips, which provide additional strength and a more finished look. With a nibbed underside, these mats help restrict movement, and cleaning is as simple as running a hose over them. As with other mats on the market, the Rugged Ridge All Terrain Floor Mats come in a variety of colors.
- Inventive chevron-shaped tread
- Great protection against debris
- Engineered with durable thermoplastic elastomer
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Some complaints that the mats are slippery and slide around
- Logo falls off
4. Kraco Premium Rubber Floor Mat
Consider Kraco’s Premium Rubber Mats if you need a more affordable option that still offers good protection against mud, dirt, and other elements. These mats feature trimmable edges, which make them suitable for a number of vehicles. With a raised heel pad for additional durability and protection, they’re made from premium rubber with UV fade and stain-resistant carpet.
Pointed nibs on the bottom of these mats prevent the mats from sliding, while a textured back surface helps grip them to the carpet of your car, further preventing any slipping. Various colors are available, including gray and tan. With four pieces per set, these are a great budget-friendly option.
- Affordable all-weather protection
- Raised heel pad
- Stain resistant
- Textured back surface and pointed nibs
- Depending on the vehicle
- Trimming to fit may be a frustrating process
- Some users report they slide around
5. OxGord Heavy Duty Mats
Are you looking for the best value for your money? OxGord Heavy Duty Mats are universal floor mats, so they may not fit perfectly. On a budget, they are a great choice for preventing snow and dirt from accumulating on your carpets. The OxGord mats are designed with deep ridges and pockets to trap dust and debris.
Fits most common cars, vans, and trucks and comes in a set of three: 2 front mats measuring 17.7′′ wide by 28.35′′ long, and 1 rear mat measuring 60′′ wide and 17′′ long.
- Good protection
- Can cut sections out to enhance capacity
- Easily cleaned
- Strong odor, slips on the carpet
- Just an “okay” fit on some vehicles even after trimming
6. Intro-Tech HEXOMAT Floor Mats
Spills are contained by Intro-Tech’s honeycomb-filled Hexomat floor mats, which feature honeycomb vaults. These floor mats are made of a unique rubber composite that is both durable and flexible while not cracking, fading, or wearing away. The mats’ non-skid backing offers premium traction so the mats stay put and won’t interfere with pedals.
Most users say these floor mats cover nearly the entire floor surface while fitting perfectly around the pedals. Over 11,000 patterns are available, so there’s a good chance you’ll find something that fits your vehicle. Furthermore, the mats come in a variety of colors, so you’re likely to find something that fits the interior of your car.
- Wide honeycomb moisture pockets
- Custom-contoured to vehicle application
- Lifetime warranty
- Some complaints that the cutting is too small
- Fitment issues for certain vehicles, strong plastic smell
7. 3D Maxpider Classic Carpet Floor Mats
Custom cut and elevated edges serve to establish a debris containment zone to protect your vehicle’s carpet from ugly stains. The 3D Maxpider Classic Carpet Floor Mats are designed to offer defense against ugly stains on your car’s carpet. Whether you track in debris, sand or dirt, or spill a drink, all the mess will not spread throughout your vehicle.
There are several colors to choose from to complement or contrast the interior of your cabin, as with many of the other items we considered for our list.
A non-skid backing prevents these mats from sliding around, attaching quickly and firmly without damaging your carpet. A full kit or a row of bumpers can be purchased based on the model, year, and make of your vehicle.
- Dense inner layer for underfoot comfort
- Premium and plush floor mats
- 3-year warranty
- Price, some complaints that mats are tough to clean
8. SMARTLINER All-Weather Floor Mats
SMARTLINER also offers all-weather floor mats. These floor mats are designed to protect SUVs and trucks from spills, stains, and mud. Produced from low-density polyethylene, these eco-friendly car mats feature a ridged structure and reinforced edge that helps prevent spills from staining your car’s carpet. In addition, there are tall outer sidewalls that trap fluid before it can spread.
In addition to providing rigidity, reinforced edges help the mat retain its shape over time. Keeping this textured, slip-resistant surface clean is as simple as hosing it off. With a lifetime warranty, these mats are some of the best on the market, but some owners complain about their durability and fitment.
- Excellent protection
- Uses earth-friendly materials
- Sleek and stylish appearance
- Custom molded
- Lifetime warranty
- Some complaints about longevity and durability
- Fitment issues on some vehicles
9. Lund Catch-All Xtreme Floor Mats
With a patented Xynet resin, Lund’s Catch-All Xtreme Floor Mats are designed to prevent moisture and mud from damaging your car’s interior. With tall outer walls designed to prevent debris from sliding off the floor mat, these mats also feature an anti-slip fastener system so they stay put.
The floor mats have a lifetime warranty and are available in 3 shades, so they are more expensive than competing products. This is a great option if you need something that can be cleaned easily. A quick spray and wipe will usually do the trick.
- Xynet resin offers great sustained protection
- Ideal for front, cargo, and back areas of car
- Offered in 3 shades
- Lifetime warranty
- Price must install your own hooks for best results
10. Michelin Rubber Carpeted Floor Mats
Tire manufacturer Michelin is probably a name you’ve heard before. It might not come as a surprise that it also sells rubber carpeted floor mats that are stylish and stain-resistant. These mats come in a 4-piece set with a pair for the front and a pair for the back, designed to protect your car’s carpet from mud, spills, rain, snow, and debris.
These mats contain dirt and water by using a cellular design to trap and channel it away from carpeted areas. Additionally, these mats come with trim lines so you can customize the fit to fit your interior.
These mats have an anti-slip backing to ensure they won’t move once installed. They come in multiple colors and are covered by a three-year warranty.
- Pairs plush carpeting with premium all-weather rubber
- Excellent durability
- Universal fit
- Easy to clean
- Some complaints about overall quality
- A bit on the flimsy side
Buying Guide: What Need to Know About Car Floor Mats
All seasons track messes into your car, whether it’s rain in the spring or snow in the winter. Additionally, if you have young children with you, you will always have to deal with spilled drinks and food crumbs.
In other words, may I ask, can your floor mats keep the carpets in your car clean enough to get the job done? Clean your car’s carpet is no easy task, and it becomes even more difficult if you have cheap or poorly fitted floor mats. Even worse, poor floor mats may cause your pedals to slip while you drive, potentially causing an accident.
The best floor mats are designed to stay in place while protecting your carpets from all kinds of dirt, debris, grime, and more. It’s clear that there are plenty of options for car floor mats, so no matter your driving style or the weather in which you live, you’re sure to find one that suits you and your car. Alternatively, you can order mats that are completely customized so that they fit your vehicle perfectly.
a) What to Consider When Select a Car Floor Mat
Aside from style and fit, there are a few other things to consider when shopping for floor mats.
i) Rims and Ridges
Pick a floor mat with high edges around the entire mat, paying attention to the rims and ridges. Liquids won’t be allowed to penetrate into the carpet through those edges. Also, some floor mats feature high grooves and ridges designed to channel water away from your feet and into the catch basin.
ii) Under the Mat
The bottom of the floor mat is often overlooked. Check the locking system of a particular floor mat, to make sure it won’t slide around and get in the way when you’re driving. The floor mat should have a hook to lock it in place.
Thicker floor mats can soak up more liquid and provide a more comfortable footbed. Nevertheless, if you want to buy plastic or rubber mats, look for ones with deep grooves that will keep your carpets clean.
b) How to Clean Your Car’s Floor Rubber Mats
- Shake or whack the mats to remove dust. The mats will be shaken and broken up, removing some muck that has become embedded there. You should do this outside. Hit the mat against a hard surface a few times. Both cloth and rubber mats can be cleaned this way. Scrape off any unyielding materials from the mat before cleaning it with a scraper.
- Soak the mat in water generously. An electric pressure washer can be useful, but it is not essential. An ordinary hose will do the trick just as well.
- Apply your preferred eco-friendly, granule-based laundry detergent across the entire mat. The soapy water will be flowing down the curb and right into your favorite creek, so we recommend using eco-friendly detergent. The detergent packet doesn’t need to be used whole. Put enough salt on the floor to cover the mat, using your common sense.
- Use a push broom to scrub thoroughly. To control the mat better, place one foot on its edge. Agitate all stubborn contaminants from all angles by brushing in multiple directions. Take off your shoes and socks if you do not have a push broom or a stiff brush. We don’t want you to run away from your problems. We just want you to scrub with your bare feet. Make sure not to slip off the mat, and refrain from rubbing your feet up against any hard, abrasive surfaces. Besides, you’ll have the cleanest feet around.
- Rinse the soap from the mat completely by starting at one corner and gradually working your way across the mat. Repeat this process until the soapy content runs clear.
- To clean the rest of your car floor mats, repeat the steps outlined above.
c) How to Clean Cloth Floor Mats
There are several ways to clean cloth floor mats depending on how dirty or stained they are.
i) Use Baking Soda
- Rub baking soda vigorously onto the floor mats to remove stains and neutralize pet odors.
- Alternatively, give your mats a thorough cleaning by using baking soda mixed with water.
ii) Using Shampoo and Detergent Powder
- To scrub your mats clean, use a stiff brush and a mixture of shampoo and washing powder (two tablespoons each).
- Alternatively, you can use a deck scrubber brush or a tightly-bristled hand brush to scrub and clean the mat.
- Wash any soap off with clean water.
iii) Using Carpet Cleaners
- To clean your floor mats, you can choose from a variety of carpet cleaners available on the market.
- It is possible to spray most upholstery and carpet cleaners directly onto a mat and let them absorb the cleaner.
- Spread and scrub the cleaner into the mat with a hand brush.
- Alternatively, you can make your own cleaner by mixing white vinegar and hot water, then spraying it on the mats and scrubbing them well.
- When it comes to getting rid of salt stains, vinegar and water mixtures are especially effective.
- Put a mix of peanut butter and salt on your floor mats before scrubbing them to get rid of chewing gum.
iv) Using A Steam Cleaning Vacuum
- To thoroughly clean your floor mats, you can use a power washer or steam cleaning vacuum.
- Power washers are available in car washes if you do not have access to your own.
v) Using the Washing Machine
- If your floor mats can be machine washed, you can toss them into a washing machine with a standard detergent. If there are any stains to be removed, it is recommended to use a stain remover first.
vi) Vacuum Dry
- Be sure to vacuum your mats again after they have been cleaned to remove any remaining water or dirt.
- Make sure your car vacuum is a wet/dry type so it doesn’t get damaged.
vii) Air Dry or Use a Dryer
- Prior to reinstalling your floor mats, it is extremely important that they are completely dried in a dryer, vacuum, or by hanging.
- The smell of a wet floor mat in your vehicle can be musky, damp, and unpleasant.
- Prior to drying, you can sprinkle some fresh scent on the floor mats to give them a fresh smell.
- Make sure you remove any excessive fur from your floor mats before putting them in the dryer.