The interior surfaces of a building are prone to fading and deteriorating with time if not properly maintained. Cleaning vinyl, plastic, leather, and rubber, as well as restoring their original color with the proper cleaners, can benefit most interior materials.
In addition, keeping them clean and protected will make them less likely to collect dust, dirt, and debris, keeping your home cleaner and smelling better.
Top 5 Car Interior Protectants: Editor Choice
Restore the color of your interior materials with restorative products and keep them protected from the sun and dirt with some of the best protective cleaning products this year.
The 10 Best Car Interior Protectants Review:
1. Rust-oleum Trim Restorer by Wipe New
- Suitable for renewing, restoring and protecting worn automotive trim and plastic...
- Nano-polymer formula penetrates deep and restores damage from weather exposure...
- Works fast and dries in one hour-wait 24 hours before Exposing to moisture
- Long lasting formula provides continued protection from UV and liquids for...
- Instantly restores Color and shine to faded surfaces
By using this Rust-Oleum branded Trim Restorer by Wipe New you will be able to renew and restore many surfaces including leather, rubber, plastic, metallic, and ceramic surfaces. However, it is not recommended for use on glass surfaces.
For the interior or exterior trim of an average sized sedan, a 1.5 oz bottle of Trim Restorer should be sufficient. Two applicator cloths, a headlight prep pad, a headlight applicator, a detail brush, and a bonus pro detail kit are also included in the kit.
Using these products together should bring back the color and life to your trim, regardless of the material. Then, buff the treated area with an applicator cloth after applying a small amount. Other products may simply wash off, but this will last much longer and make everything look better.
2. Plastic Restorer by CarGuys
- Restore and maintain shine: Penetrates deep to nourish and restore vinyl, rubber...
- Protect against fading: Refined cream restores and protects vinyl, rubber and...
- Non greasy water based formula: Achieve a non greasy long lasting deep wet look...
- The Brand in car care: Beginners and professionals alike choose chemical guys,...
Over time, the plastic trim on your interior can dull or fade. Restore it with the Plastic Restorer from CarGuys. The restorer will treat, renew, seal and protect your plastic trim, center console, cup holders, and more. Additionally, it won’t leave an oily mess since it goes on clean and dries to the touch, leaving a protective layer behind that repels water and prevents sun damage.
This also works great on vinyl and rubber, making it a great choice for protecting your interior. To distribute the restorer, spray on and wipe with a quality microfiber towel. Immediately you will notice improvement! Car Guys stands behind its products, so even though you’ll probably be satisfied, you’re covered in case you’re not.
3. ‘Gummi Pflege Stift’ Rubber Care Stick by NextZett
- Conditions all weather seals around doors, hood and trunk
- Temperature resistant for long-lasting protection
- Prevents rubber from drying and cracking
- With built-in foam applicator for easy application
- Made in Germany
Rubber Care Stick by NextZett is the best way to maintain your hood, trunk, and door seals. The foam applicator allows you to easily coat the areas you need to protect. Applied to rubber seals, this rubber care product will protect them from cold, heat, aging, and general drying and cracking as a result of use.
Before using seals, we recommend thoroughly cleaning them. If left to dry with one application, the paint may bead up and look splotchy, so it is recommended to apply a second coat half way through drying, then buff it into the seals until it soaks in and dries completely. A great product to protect the interior of your car.
The areas that are thoroughly worn out may need extra protection. A product like this is especially useful for vans with sliding doors, or for cars with a sunroof, moonroof, or convertible top, where it is of utmost importance to have a good weather seal.
4. Leather Conditioner by Lexol
- Protect your leather from cracking without leaving greasy residue by using this...
- Our original formula contains fine oil droplets that are absorbed into your...
- Regular use helps prolong the life of your finished leather investments
- Great for conditioning car interiors, leather furniture, satchels, briefcases,...
- Easy-to-use cap helps control the amount of leather conditioner you need
By restoring the oils in leather, Lexol Leather Conditioner is a conditioner that works to restore the leather’s natural oils. This non-greasy emulsion penetrates deeply into fibers to moisturize, strengthen and beautify any genuine leather.
To get the best results with this product, we recommend cleaning your leather with a leather cleaning product. The leather will get a continuous layer of protection after cleaning, which will avoid cracking, drying, or yellowing with age. The conditioner maintains the like-new appearance of your leather while keeping it clean and supple.
If you wish to use this leather conditioner on suede, gloves, or napped leather, you should not use it. Automobiles, motorcycles, saddlebags, luggage, handbags, sporting goods, etc. can benefit from it.
5. InnerClean Interior Quick Detailer and Protectant by Chemical Guys
- Removes dirt, dust, and body oils
- Cleans, conditions, and protects your interior
- OEM factory appearance
- Advanced UV protection
- Quick and easy application
Chemical Guys’ Inner Clean Interior Quick Detailer and Protectant comes in two scents, baby powder and citrus pineapple. The interior cleaner is safe to use on leather, vinyl, rubber, plastic, and glass. The quick detailer is ideal for wiping electronic screens to remove fingerprints, smudges, or other blemishes that are distracting.
A protective layer is left behind to protect your surfaces from UV radiation, preventing your surfaces from becoming faded and cracked over time. After applying the cleaner, dust no longer clings to the interior surfaces of your car because of its dust repellant technology.
The most convenient size is a 16oz bottle with a spray attachment for convenient application. Cleans almost all interior surfaces and leaves a pleasant scent behind at the same time with this incredibly affordable cleaner. Before reapplying it, the protection it leaves should last a few weeks.
6. Back-to-Black Trim & Plastic Restorer by Mothers
- Brings back a dark, factory-new sheen
- Works on sun-burnt plastic, rubber or vinyl
- Works great on tight, difficult-to-reach areas such as grilles, fender wells and...
- Leaves a long lasting, protective barrier, preventing further deterioration
- Easy to use; simply mist and walk away
All colors of trim, plastics, and plastic exteriors can be restored to new life with this all-in-one formula. This will remove dirt, surface film, wax residue, light oxidation, and more from your trim or plastic.
With this technique, you can restore your trim’s color back to its original state, making it appear as if it were brand new again. A protective coating will also be left behind to give your trim extra protection against the sun’s harmful rays and other potential problems like water, spills, ozone, smog and airborne contaminants.
Trim & Plastic Restorer comes in a squeeze bottle, so simply apply it directly to a microfiber towel, terrycloth, or sponge and wipe your trim clean as needed. This plastic restorer will revitalize neglected or sun-damaged plastics and trim.
7. Marine/RV Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Protectant by Meguiar’s
- PREMIUM INGREDIENTS: A complex blend of premium ingredients to clean, shine and...
- NATURAL SHEEN: Leaves vinyl, rubber and plastics with a clean, rich natural...
- SURFACE PROTECTION: Conditioners help prevent boat and RV surfaces from drying,...
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED: Formula geared toward the severe conditions of marine and...
- EASY TO USE: Convenient spray trigger allows you to easily spray on and wipe off
Clean, shine, restore, revitalize, and protect vinyl interior surfaces with Meguiar’s Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner & Protectant. The product is also effective for rubber and plastic surfaces.
Use a convenient spray trigger to easily spray onto the areas that need cleaning, or spray onto a microfiber towel and wipe it down if you wish. Natural conditioners will leave your vinyl, rubber, and plastic with a beautiful sheen instead of leaving behind a mess. This superior product provides long-lasting UV protection and helps avoid cracks, fading, and drying of the surface.
Clean with a clean microfiber towel if the vinyl & rubber cleaner & protector leaves the surface slippery after application. If necessary, repeat the process several times to add additional layers of protection.
8. PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish by Meguiar’s
- PLASTIC CLEANER AND POLISH: Rich gel formula quickly restores clarity to both...
- HEADLIGHT CLEANING AND MUCH MORE: Great for use on headlights, Plexiglas,...
- BRILLIANT CLARITY: Cleans and restores brilliant clarity in one simple step,...
- LASTING PROTECTION: Features water-resistant polymers that help provide...
- USE BY ITSELF OR WITH HEADLIGHT KIT: Use by itself or as a refill with...
Meguiar’s PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish is a thick, gel-based cleaner that works on plastic, headlights, taillights, plexiglass, plastic convertible windows, and other uncoated clear plastic surfaces to clean, clarify, and protect. Plastics will no longer yellow, oxidize, cloud or have fine scratches. A simple step will restore clarity, eliminating the need for multiple products to achieve the same result.
This clear plastic cleaner and polish will clean and remove oxidation from your headlights and taillights, allowing them to work as if they were straight from the factory. Even fine scratches and grime won’t stand a chance against this gel.
Once you apply this gel to your dirty plastic, the cleaner will adhere to them, and when you wipe it clean with a microfiber towel, your plastic will be clear again. Don’t drive around in the dark anymore with diminished visibility when you can use this and restore your headlights to their maximum potential.
9. Hyper Dressing by Meguiar’s
- CHOOSE YOUR SHINE: Dilutes up to 4:1, giving you options for shine level from...
- BEST RESULTS: Get the highest shine possible on non-painted rubber, plastic and...
- VERSATILE: Has multiple applications, including interior and exterior trim...
- WATER-BASED FORMULA: Safe to use and leaves a pleasant scent
- SPRAY ON, WIPE OFF: Easy and convenient two steps
The Hyper Dressing from Meguiar’s will make your car’s interior shine. No matter if you want a high gloss or a light satin sheen, this will make your trim, vinyl, non-painted rubber, and plastic pieces shine. A water-based formula that you can dilute to get the level of shine you desire. Do a few tests in conspicuous areas before you start cleaning the entire house.
We recommend using a quality microfiber towel to apply this pleasant smelling shine protectant. The water-based substance is also ideal for using on tires, although it will wear off when it rains the next time. The spray is well suited for use in interiors to protect and enhance their appearance.
10. Ultimate Plastic & Trim Restorer by Carfidant
- EASY TO APPLY - One wipe to new! Put a few drops on the included applicator, and...
- LONG LASTING - Unlike many other products available off the shelf, our Ultimate...
- PROTECTS & PREVENTS DRYING, AGING, FADING - Our Ultimate Car Plastic Restorer...
- SAFE ON ALL SURFACES - Our special formula is water-based and will never harm,...
- MADE IN USA - CARFIDANT 100% SATISFACTION - Don't take our word that this is the...
When it comes to cleaning and restoring interior plastics, vinyl, or rubber, the Carfidant Trim & Plastic Restorer is the clear choice. As well as preventing fading, aging, and drying, this will also protect your interior from road grime and ultraviolet rays. Water-based spray is safe for all plastic, rubber, and vinyl surfaces without damaging them.
Just a few drops of this will bring life back to that plastic or trim. Spray and wipe clean your vehicle’s interior, and you’ll feel like you’ve brought it back to life. Also applicable to mirror frames, handles, cracked bumpers, or any dull, faded, or scratched interior parts. Carfidant even offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee, so if you’re not happy they’ll give you a full refund. However, we’re confident you won’t need one. The Ultimate Plastic & Trim Restorer from Carfidant tops our list of the best car interior protectors.
- Vacuum the interior of the car prior to using the liquid cleaner. This will allow you to remove all dry dirt and debris in advance, which will result in a less messy cleaning process.
- Starting to clean the car’s interior can be overwhelming. It is better to tackle it in smaller sections so you are more likely to succeed. Consider grouping surfaces of similar styles together as well.
- Before spraying a stain, scrub it with a scrub brush to remove dirt and grime. Then mop it up with a rag.
- For stubborn stains, spray lightly several times if necessary. Be careful not to damage the surface by applying too much solution.
- You might not be able to clean the interior of your car all at once, especially if you have a lot of dirt and grime. Patience always pays off.
Frequently Asked Questions:
i) Should I Use the Product Full Strength or Have It Diluted?
The spray is usually safe to use as-is, unless the car has some sensitive interior surfaces, such as dashboards with navigation screens or some leather seats. It is better to dilute the detailer in this case.
ii) Do Car Interior Detailers Work on Scratch Marks?
They don’t work against scuffs and scratches. Their only purpose is to remove dirt and grime.
iii) Can I Clean Glass With Car Interior Detailers?
Most car interior cleaners do not work on glass. Multi-purpose products in particular do not work on glass. If you accidentally spray it on glass and it leaves a smear, you can remove it with a glass cleaner and a cloth.
iv) How Often Should I Use the Cleaner on the Interior of My Car?
Use as much as you like – unless the product is too strong, in which case you can dilute it and use it carefully around delicate surfaces or on light-colored interiors.
The 303 UV Protectant Spray stands out among the many car interior detailers on the market. The product is quite affordable, works on many surfaces, has a matte finish, and protects against UV damage.
Chemical Guys’ SPI_663_16 InnerClean offers a great value buy with its low price, UV protection, and dust repellency. It is also quick and easy to use. It saves you from purchasing car air fresheners since it comes with two scents.