If you’re still hand-washing your dishes in 2022, you know how frustrating it is to try to find a good dishwasher that’s also in stock.
Having worked in the appliance industry for over 15 years, I started Designer Appliances, New Jersey’s go-to appliance retailer. Most of these dishwashers have been put through their paces by me, and I’ve also taken tours of the factories where they’re manufactured and participated in numerous hours of training. Most significantly, I have witnessed firsthand, real-time responses from our clientele.
I often tell my friends, family, and neighbors to get one of these seven dishwashers. It’s worth the wait for others, but you can get some right now. What makes the best dishwasher for you? Let’s find out.
Top 10 Dishwasher Consumer Reports: Editor Recommended
The 10 Best Dishwasher Consumer Reports Review:
1. Miele GS CL 4001 P Dishwashing PowerDisk
- PowerDisk All in 1, 49.4 oz dishwasher detergent for superior cleaning in...
- Miele's exclusive powder-granulate provides shining results even with stubborn...
- 100% recycled plastic Environmentally friendly and recyclable Resource-friendly:...
- With active oxygen for thorough cleanliness
- Automatic dispensing for approximately 1 month (20 cycles/disk)
In terms of cleaning power and user friendliness, Miele dishwashers consistently rank at the top, and this model, with its concealed top controls, is no exception. The revolutionary features and sleek design make it not only a cleaning powerhouse but also a breeze to operate. There is no need to interrupt your wash cycle to add detergent because the AutoDos system is compatible with Miele’s PowerDisk, which dispenses the exact quantity of powder detergent needed for the cycle and lasts for up to 20 washes without reloading.
However, you are free to exclude AutoDos and use your preferred laundry detergent instead. Adjustable racks and shelves, fold-down tines, and padded stemware grips make loading the dishwasher a breeze. The top 3D cutlery tray is deep enough to fit small bowls, utensils, and ramekins, and it prevents flatware from nesting for easier cleanup. A nice feature we initially saw in an older model we currently use in the GH Cleaning Lab is that it slides side to side to allow additional headroom for tall stemware in the rack below.
Our tests showed that the Miele QuickIntenseWash speed cycle was far superior to that of competing dishwashers, able to thoroughly clean a substantially filthy load in under an hour. Using Miele’s own detergent, we put this cycle through its paces on a prior model, and were blown away by how fast and thoroughly it removed baked-on, burned-on residues from our casseroles and cookware.
Despite the high initial cost, Miele dishwashers have a lower operating cost than other brands because of their superior energy efficiency. It has an EcoStart function that lets you schedule dishwasher use during cheaper electricity hours. The EcoTech Heat Exchanger distributes any excess heat from the dishwasher to the incoming water, preventing any hot water from being wasted. Additionally, the dishwasher possesses a high level of intelligence. The Miele app allows for convenient remote control and customization.
- Dispenses detergent automatically
- Clear, easy to use controls with interior light
- Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel
2. Frigidaire FGIP2468UF Gallery 24” Stainless Steel Built-In Dishwasher
- Graystone Tub With Nylon Racks
- 8 Wash Cycles
- 14 Place Settings Capacity
- Dual OrbitClean Wash System
In the GH Cleaning Lab, Frigidaire appliances consistently score highest in terms of cleaning effectiveness, value, and user friendliness. More than 1,900 customers have given this Gallery dishwasher 4.3 stars on average, making it a clear bargain. You may purchase a machine that not only cleans and dries well, but also has many convenient features, and all for a reasonable price. Concealed for a minimalist appearance, the control panel is crystal-clear and simple to navigate, and it even has a “favorite cycle” that, once preset, automatically chooses your go-to settings. When you don’t have a full load, you may save even more money on your utility bills by washing your dishes in the upper rack of this dishwasher.
At this price point, you get some nifty features like an all-stainless steel interior and fingerprint-resistant stainless steel front, cushioned stemware holders, water-pressure adjustments based on the load type and soil level, an NSF-certified sanitize option, and a light beam that projects on the floor to indicate when the cycle is complete. The absence of a top-tier flatware tray and built-in WiFi are what allow this model to remain at such a low price. Additionally, it does not have an especially tranquil atmosphere. It may have a few blind spots, but it doesn’t stop it from being an excellent cleaner.
- Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel front
- Hidden controls
- No third rack for flatware
- Not WiFi-enabled
3. LG 24″ PrintProof Stainless Steel Top Control Smart Wi-Fi Enabled Dishwasher
- Smart Wi-Fi Enabled
- Works With Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa
- PrintProof Stainless Steel Finish
- Height Adjustable 3rd Rack
Our Good Housekeeping Test Kitchen relies on and abuses an LG dishwasher because it consistently produces the best results. Our testing in the Cleaning Lab showed that even with extremely dirty loads, the machines performed admirably, albeit we would have preferred shorter cycle times. The term “QuadWash” comes from the fact that, unlike most models, this one features four lower spray arms.
They rotate and pivot in response to water pressure, focusing the spray where it’s needed most to clean the insides of the corners of each dish and glass. In our testing, we discovered that LG’s TrueSteam technology, which uses steam to fill the tub throughout the pre-wash and main wash phases of the cycle, effectively cleaned stubborn stains and reduced the appearance of water marks. This model’s top tray and bottom flatware basket are removable, making it extremely convenient for frequent use. Having a heating element makes drying faster, which is a big plus for us.
Additional cycles can be downloaded to your LG appliance using the Smart Diagnosis app, which is also designed to help you troubleshoot issues like a dishwasher that won’t start. Additionally, it will send you a notification on your smart device, Alexa, or Google Assistant when the cycle is complete.
- Uses steam to improve cleaning performance
- Also comes in black stainless steel
- NSF certified to sanitize
- May not hold as much as others
- Cycles are a bit long
4. GE GFW850SPNRS 28″ Smart Front Load Washer with 5 cu. ft. Capacity UltraFresh Vent System
- 5.0 Cu.Ft. Stainless Steel Drum
- 12 Wash Cycles | 10 Wash Options | 5 Temperatures
- UltraFresh Vent With OdorBlock
- Microban Antimicrobial Technology
UltraFresh front-loading washers from GE already combine fresh air intake and Microban to prevent the growth of bacteria on the washer’s most vulnerable components; the company has now expanded this technology to its dishwashers. Indeed, this is a stroke of genius, in our opinion. The UltraFresh dishwasher has high-touch surfaces coated with Microban, such as the handles, controls, filter, flatware basket, and more, to help keep these places clean and germ-free. In addition, it uses the time between cycles to clean and deodorize the dishwasher by recirculating water and air.
This GE machine scored highest in our latest cleaning performance tests; it was also very quiet and simple to operate and load. The bottle jets and flatware-specific jets ensure that even the dirtiest of these objects come out sparkling. The distance between the tines is what really sold us on this fork, since it allows us to more easily load plates with irregular shapes or depths. The cycle was complete and everything was clean thanks to the unobtrusive front display.
- Handle, basket, filter and more protected with Microban
- Fingerprint-resistant stainless steel front
- High-touch areas are treated with Microban
- Warranty is somewhat limited
5. Beko DDT39434X 24 inch Dishwasher, 39 db – Bottle Wash
- Patented CrystalDry technology gives dishes the ultimate dry
- Flexible 3rd rack for silverware and cooking utensils
- InfoLight shines on the floor so you know if the cycle is running
- 3 Prong Power Chord Included. Junction box for hardwire application sold...
In spite of its significance, many people routinely neglect to clean their dishwasher’s filter. Beko eliminated this step by installing water jets within the filter well. To have the fine mesh filter cleaned, simply choose the appropriate time on the control panel. We’ve never seen something like this before, and we’re baffled that it wasn’t thought of sooner. As a result of this and the superior coverage and cleaning capabilities afforded by Beko’s CornerIntense square spray pattern, the company was named a winner in the Best Cleaning & Organizing category at the 2022 Good Housekeeping Best Awards.
Beko is a relatively new brand in the United States’s home appliance industry, and early indications are promising. Easy to use, it removed all traces of burnt food from our equipment. When it comes to storage space, we were able to store all of our test items plus nine more glasses and one more dinner plate. Because it operates so quietly, a light on the ground indicates its status: red when it’s running and green when it’s finished. The controls required a firm touch to engage, which was the only issue we encountered, although this was quickly overcome with experience.
- Filter has built-in water jets for self-cleaning
- Extra large capacity
- Sprays water in a square pattern to better reach the corners
- Controls could be more responsive
6. Bosch SHSM63W55N 24″ 300 Series Built
Our top pick for the best dishwasher on the market is the Bosch 300 Series SHSM63W55N. It’s reasonably priced, with a huge stainless steel tub, and a third rack just for cutlery, all without sacrificing cleaning power. There are sanitizing cycles and ones that wash and dry in an hour. Since the Bosch 300 operates at such a low decibel level, it shines a light on the ground to indicate that it is on.
This model’s controls are concealed on the inside of the door’s upper panel, contributing to its sophisticated appearance. Because the tines that divide the plates are so close together, you might have problems fitting in very large or bulky plates or bowls. Dishes both large and tiny can fit in the dishwasher thanks to the dishwasher’s movable racks.
- Excellent cleaning performance
- Third rack holds cutlery, small tools
- Very quiet
- Narrowly spaced tines make larger dishes awkward to place
7. KitchenAid KDFE104HPS 46dB Stainless Built-In Dishwasher
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The...
KitchenAid dishwashers are popular because the lower rack’s tines can be spread apart to accommodate plates of varying sizes. This one has a third shelf at the top for additional storage of smaller dishes and glasses, freeing up the lower shelves for bulkier items like mixing bowls. Oversized items such as serving plates, pots and pans, and vases can fit in the dishwasher thanks to the ability to adjust or fold down some of the tines on the top and middle racks.
The level of soil is detected by the KitchenAid ProWash system, which then regulates the wash cycle’s duration and temperature accordingly. As an added bonus, it comes with a ton of other useful cycles like Sani-Rinse and Express Wash. It’s so silent when running that you might have to check the top controls to make sure you’ve actually activated it.
- Very good cleaning performance
- Third rack holds glasses and cups
- Very quiet
- Cycles can be long
8. Frigidaire Gallery FGID2476SF 24″ Built-In Dishwasher Stainless Steel
- Tall Tub Stainless Steel Interior
- 8 Wash Cycles / 4 Options
- 14 Place Settings
- Dimensions (WHD): 23 3/4 X 35 3/4 X 24 1/4 in.
The Frigidaire Gallery FGID2476SF is a great value for its high-end design (stainless steel that resists fingerprints) and extensive set of extras. We wouldn’t suggest it if it didn’t clean and dry properly. A stainless steel tub, cushioned holders for stemware, and a “favorite” setting that chooses the most frequently used wash cycle and other settings are also included. It’s practically perfect, with the exception of being unable to unload itself.
The NSF has verified that the sanitizing rinse effectively eliminates any remaining germs that may have survived the washing process. The refrigerator is silent and emits a blue light onto the floor while it is operating; once the dishes are dry, the light switches to green. And it even earned the EnergyStar seal of approval!
- Good cleaning performance
- NSF certified sanitizing rinse
- Racks are a bit wobbly
9. Samsung DW80N3030US/AA StormWash 48 dBA Stainless Steel Dishwasher
If you value a dishwasher that operates quietly, the Samsung DW80R9950US is the one for you. The lowest on our list, at just 39 dB, this one is ideal for late-night workouts. It has a modern, minimalist look and comes with three shelves and fifteen place settings, making it ideal for a small to medium sized family. It’s the most cost-effective option because it uses the least energy of any full-size dishwasher on the market (239 kWH).
We also like that it is Wi-Fi enabled, so you can check in on it and adjust settings from your phone. You can trust that your load will dry more quickly once the cycle is complete thanks to the AutoRelease door. Our only complaint is that the racks’ prongs are too far apart; more place settings would fit if they were closer together.
- Very quiet when running
- Energy efficient
- Wi-Fi app control
- Prongs are widely spaced
10. BLACK+DECKER BCD6W Compact Countertop Dishwasher
- 7 SUPERIOR WASH CYCLES: With this incredible BLACK+DECKER portable dishwasher,...
- LED DISPLAY: Set your wash cycle and time with ease thanks to this intuitive...
- QUICK CONNECT: Hook up your must-have white dishwasher with a seamless Quick...
- IMPRESSIVE CAPACITY: This dishwasher portable ensures you can fit up to 6 place...
- OUTSTANDING DESIGN: The interior of this spacious portable dishwasher is...
If you’re short on cabinet space but still need a dishwasher, the Black + Decker BCD6W is a top pick. With its LED display and metal drop-down door handle, this plastic countertop model looks far more expensive than it actually is. Its dimensions of 21.7 by 21.5 by 17.2 inches mean that it won’t need much room. The seven wash cycles include Normal, Intensive, Eco, Glass, 90 Minutes, Rapid, and Soak.
Because it is a countertop model, it cannot accommodate large loads (six place settings is all it can manage). There is no need for permanent plumbing because of its quick connect design, and it even has a child lock. In addition to helping you save money on your energy bills, it has earned the Energy Star label. This is the best dishwasher you can buy if you’re looking for a compact model that fits on your counter.
- Compact design
- Doesn’t hold many dishes
Buying Guide: What To Consider When Choosing a Dishwasher
Almost every model of dishwasher can be concealed beneath your counter, out of sight and out of mind. The standard size is 24 inches wide and 35 inches high, but there are also 18-inch wide models for more compact cooking spaces. Always measure the available space and the appliance to ensure a proper fit before making a purchase.
Also available are freestanding or portable models that connect to your sink drain via a hose and a standard kitchen faucet. A countertop model is an option if you’re desperate for storage. Keep in mind that these compact models can only fit a few plates on their single rack.
Nowadays, stainless steel is the preferred material for home appliance housings. There are also models available in white or black to better complement vintage appliances, as well as in black stainless steel and so-called Tuscan stainless steel, which has a bronze hue. Make sure the stainless steel you’re considering is resistant to fingerprints and smudges, especially if you have young children.
Dishwashers typically have plastic or stainless steel interiors. Although more expensive, stainless steel will last longer and is a better investment if you can afford it.
You’ll find anywhere from 4 to 14 on today’s dishwashers. Consider which programs you’ll actually find useful. Most dishwashers come with an Eco program now, which is just one of 7 ways your dishwasher can save you money.
- Auto uses a sensor to detect particles in the rinse water and figure out when your dishes are clean. It then adjusts the time and water usage, reducing energy costs.
- Rinse settings are great when you don’t have enough items to run a full load but don’t want to leave dirty, smelly dishes in the machine overnight or longer.
- Extra Dry options enhance drying and eliminate spotting which is particularly helpful for plastics and glassware. If your mugs always come out of the dishwasher wet, this TikTok dishwasher hack will keep your mugs dry.
- Delay Start is great if you want to run the dishwasher during off-peak energy hours or in the middle of the night when no one has to take a shower.
- Sanitize kills bacteria and are nice to have when someone in the house is sick.
- China or Delicate cycles give glassware and fragile items TLC.
- Half load reduces water usage by washing items in either the top or bottom rack.
e) Energy efficiency
Dishwashers all have labels from the Energy Guide that tell you how much electricity they use and how much it will cost to run them annually. Items with the EnergyStar label are among the most energy-efficient on the market.
The lower the decibel number, the less noise the device makes. If you can’t find it in a store near you, look for it on the manufacturer’s website. Typically, the lowest-noise options are those that register at 44 dB or less.
Verify the ease with which the racks pull out and whether or not they are modifiable. Height-adjustable shelving units are useful for storing and displaying tall vases and other tall containers.
Additionally, the tines can be folded down to make room for larger dishes like casseroles. Bring your plates or platter of choice with you if you’re unsure if they’ll fit between the tines of a new fork.