Discover the secret to stunning, salon-quality blowouts at home. The hair dryer is of the highest quality. However, not all blow dryers are the same; you need to think about a wide variety of things, including your hair type (thin, thick, curly, frizzy, damaged, and so on) and the specific technology and features of each model. Fortunately, our product-testing specialists and professional hairstylists at the Good Housekeeping Institute Beauty Lab have given us the lowdown on the best hair dryers money can buy.
To determine whether or not a hair dryer causes harm to the hair, the experts at GH Beauty Lab evaluate it on both synthetic and human hair samples. To determine the best hair dryers on the market, our experts recently tested 41 models at home and in the lab, evaluating them on a variety of criteria such as use, performance, drying time, and more. The information was compiled to produce this ranking of the top hair dryers on the market in 2022.
Top 10 Hair Dryer Consumer Reports: Editor Recommended
The 10 Best Hair Dryer Consumer Reports Review:
1. ghd Helios 1875w Advanced Professional Hair Dryer
The GHD Helios is the greatest hair dryer available. This hair dryer includes a brushless motor and the sleek design of the GHD Air. A beautiful, well-balanced, and lightning-fast hair dryer is the end result. Until we tried the Helios, the quickest hair dryer we’d tested was the Dyson Supersonic, but this new GHD model shaved off a whole minute of drying time. It’s a whole decibel quieter than the GHD Air and comes with a longer power cable to boot.
Jennifer Oksien, our Homes Editor, is a dedicated user and says, “This is one of the nicest hair dryers I’ve ever used.” It’s powerful, doesn’t make a sound, and dries my long, wet hair in about a minute. It also comes in a variety of stunning colors; I personally favor the midnight blue version.
Even though it dried our hair quickly, it didn’t have the same volume and bounce as it did after using other dryers on our list, especially the Revlon Pro. But that was the one serious drawback to an otherwise excellent blow dryer.
- Super fast drying times
- Left hair shiny and fizz-free
- Stunning, well-balanced design
- Hair lacked volume and bounce
2. Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer, Iron/Fuchsia
- Helps prevent extreme heat damage to protect natural shine; Air temperature is...
- Ultra fast drying; For fast drying you need controlled, high velocity airflow....
- Includes: Magnetic attachments Dyson smoothing noozle, styling concentrator, and...
- Lightweight and balanced; We've turned convention on its head and put the motor...
- Acoustically tuned; The powerful motor is tuned to produce one inaudible...
The price tag on this hair dryer is, without a doubt, high and, let’s be honest, may be out of reach for certain individuals. But Dyson has packed its Supersonic dryer to the gills with technology, making it the most advanced hair dryer on the market.
The motor, which was previously located behind the nozzle, has been relocated to the handle, and now draws air through a filter in the base rather than a vent in the barrel. The Supersonic’s design makes it one of the smallest and lightest hair dryers we’ve tried.
During testing, it was found to be very easy to apply and produce a high shine without the need for straighteners. The filter was frequently obstructed by our hand, and the buttons were a pain to reach mid-dry. We, too, were shocked by the hair dryer’s exorbitant price tag, but if you’re set on buying a Dyson Supersonic for whatever reason, you may find some relief in our regularly updated guide to the greatest discounts available.
- Fast drying times
- Array of heat and speed settings
- Lightweight design
- Most expensive model on the market
- Controls can be fiddly to use
3. HOT TOOLS Pro Signature 1875W Turbo IONIC Hair Dryer
- Ionic Technology to help reduce frizz and static for healthy-looking, shiny...
- Designed with maximum airflow for up to 40% faster drying.
- 2 speed/6 heat combinations provide styling versatility and great performance on...
- Cool Shot button helps set the style with a cool burst of air for a...
- Bonus Concentrator and Diffuser Attachments for enhanced blowouts or defining...
This hair dryer from Hot Tools is a good option if you’re trying to save money. In our testing, we found the hair drier, which in the United States goes by the name Hot Tools Pro Signature Salon 1875 Watts Ionic AC Motor Hair Dryer, to be easy to operate and capable of drying our fine shoulder-length hair in about as much time as the most expensive versions here. We tried blow drying our hair for six minutes on the coolest setting before giving up.
Because the UK model includes a dual socket, we think it’s a wonderful choice for vacationers and business travelers. It’s not the heaviest or largest hair dryer we’ve encountered, which is great if you’re traveling with limited luggage space.
Some features of this hair drier were sacrificed in order to make the price as cheap as possible. The connection is much shorter than we’d expect for a hair dryer of this price range. Furthermore, the filter is not detachable, which makes cleaning the hair dryer a hassle, but for those on a budget, these concessions are worthwhile.
- More affordable than many in this list
- Simple to use
- Fast drying times
- Filter isn’t removable
- Lacks a premium feel
- Shorter-than-average cable
4. ghd Air 1600w Professional Hair Dryer
- Includes 2 Concentrator Nozzles
- Professional strength, long-lasting AC motor
- Advanced ionic technology, Ergonomic design for maximum control whether you’re...
- 2 speeds, 3 heat settings and cool shot button, Adaptor ring for universal...
Anyone familiar with GHD’s high-end straightener line will not be surprised to learn that the GHD Air hair drier is equally well-made and fashionable. It is the quietest dryer we’ve reviewed, which is where it really shines.
The Dyson Supersonic is a compact, lightweight hair dryer, whereas the GHD Air is a huge machine with a thick grip, robust controls, and a lengthy barrel, but its sturdiness lends a sense of luxury and craftsmanship. However, because of its enormous size, we often found it difficult to maneuver in order to achieve the desired perspective.
It wasn’t the fastest dryer we’ve tested, but it also wasn’t the slowest. This hair drier may not be essential if you just want to dry your hair quickly, but it will add a touch of class and sophistication to your look.
- Pricey compared to other models
- Large barrel not ideal for drying
5. REVLON One-Step Volumizer Original 1.0 Hair Dryer and Hot Air Brush
- STYLE AND DRY IN ONE STEP: Style, Dry & Volumize Your Hair in One Step, Max...
- IONIC + CERAMIC TECHNOLOGY: Unique Non-Detachable Oval Brush Design for...
- UNIQUE OVAL DESIGN: Designed with Nylon Pin & Tufted Bristles for detangling,...
- STYLING FLEXIBILITY: 3 Heat/Speed Settings with Cool option for styling...
- SAFETY PLUG: Volumizer 1.0 Original meets U.S. safety requirements, unit is...
The Revlon Pro Collection One Step Dryer & Volumiser stands out from the pack as the only 2-in-1 styler and dryer on this list of the finest hair dryers. The Revlon combines the benefits of a blow dryer with a comb for those who lack the time, patience, or expertise to dry their hair using only barrel brushes. It functions as a huge brush and has air vents below the bristles, two heat settings, and a cold shot. The drying and styling effects of the brush are activated as you run it through your hair. Because of this, our normally limp hair was able to shine and gain volume that was previously only achievable through a professional blowout.
A downside of the Revlon is that it makes a lot of noise and is somewhat heavy at 850g. According to the results of the experiment, however, drying time was minimal. Although it works exceptionally well for producing full, buoyant blow dries, it is the extent of its usefulness. We found that a major drawback was that you couldn’t use it to rough dry your hair or make different styles.
- Fast drying speeds
- Makes blow drying easier
- Very loud
- Lacks versatility
6. Shark HD112BRN Hair Blow Dryer HyperAIR Fast-Drying
- ULTRA-FAST DRYING: HyperAIR IQ Technology intelligently combines high-velocity...
- NO HEAT DAMAGE: Intelligent heat control measures outlet heat up to 1,000 times...
- STYLES THAT LAST: Auto-optimized heat and airflow settings from HyperAIR ensure...
- NEGATIVE ION GENERATOR: Increases smoothness and shine while decreasing frizz...
- POWER AND VERSATILITY FOR EVERY HAIR TYPE: Powerful, fast-drying hair dryer for...
A diffuser is essential for persons with curly hair because it spreads out the air stream, preventing the curl pattern from being disturbed. While many hair dryers include a diffuser, the Shark Style iQ (Shark HyperAir in the US) takes it to the next level.
Since the diffuser it comes with has extended prongs, it can dry the roots and the ends of curly hair simultaneously, making it our top selection for those who have curly hair because it minimizes the risk of heat damage. If you use the diffuser and other accessories that come with your hair dryer, the dryer’s temperature and air flow will be adjusted automatically to ensure optimal performance. It dried hair quickly as well.
The Dyson Supersonic is more expensive, but this is still a pricey option, and the attachments are bigger than we anticipated. Our tests also revealed that it does not come with a detachable filter, which would have made it much easier to clean and keep free of lint and dust.
- Fast drying speeds
- Automatic temperature and air speed adjustment
- Diffuser features extendable prongs
- Attachments are bulkier than expected
- Lacks a removable filter
- One of the more expensive hair dryers on the market
7. ghd Flight Travel Hair Dryer
The GHD Flight is the best travel hair dryer available. Lighter than the GHD Air by half at 0.9lb / 422g, yet with 70% as much force, this dryer will have your hair completely dry in no time.
This model’s portability is enhanced by its folding design, which allows it to become a smaller, more manageable appliance, and its dual voltage means it can be used in virtually any country. As expected, it dried our hair quickly, but it lacked the sheen and smoothness of other models we tested.
While it’s great for creating sleek designs, it might not be the best option for individuals who want to experiment with a wider variety of hairdos because it only comes with one concentrator nozzle rather than the many that other hair dryers offer. Moreover, the filter isn’t detachable, so cleaning it can be a little more of a hassle.
- Fast drying speeds
- Foldable design
- Dual voltage
- Lacks additional attachments
- Filter isn’t removable
8. Panasonic Nanoe Hair Dryer, 1875 Watt Professional Blow Dryer for Smooth
- Professional-Quality Hair Dryer for Beautiful Results: Powerful, yet quiet the...
- Healthy, Hydrated Hair: Ionic hair dryer with nanoe technology draws moisture...
- 3 Pro-Quality Attachments: Unique, dual airflow quick dry nozzle helps dry hair...
- Define Your Curls: Hair dryer with diffuser attachment helps curls stay hydrated...
- Customize Your Settings: 2 hairdryer speed settings and 3 heat settings let you...
The Panasonic EH-NA65 is a superb hair dryer if you desire fast drying times and lustrous locks every time. On test, it took just under four minutes to fully dry and style our shoulder length fine hair, while the ‘quick dry’ nozzle, which splits the airflow into four pieces – two strong streams in the center and two softer streams on each perimeter, sped this up by a further 30 seconds.
Our hair was left with a shining, healthy look after each blow dry, thanks to the ‘nanoe technology’ which uses negative ions that penetrate the hair’s cuticle, minimizing static and frizz to produce a lustrous finish. However, the outlet the negative ions are ejected from sits on top of the barrel, set slightly back from the air outlet and forms a hump on top of the barrel, creating an appearance to the hair dryer you’ll either love or loathe.
- Fast drying speeds
- Shiny hair every time
- Choice of attachments
- Unusual design
9. Remington PROLUXE HydraCare Dryer
- HydraCare Sensor - The ultimate protection against heat damage. The HydraCare...
- Powerful Digital Motor - The dryer’s digital motor delivers an airspeed of up...
- For 50% faster drying.
- Moisture Lock Conditioning Technology - Releases micro-conditioners onto hair to...
- 3 Heat plus 2 Speed Settings - Find the heat and airflow you prefer for your...
When it comes to hair dryers – there’s a narrow line between enough heat to ensure a speedy drying period, and too much heat that can damage the strands leading to breakages and split ends. The Remington Hydraluxe Pro EC9001 hits the correct balance with a sensor that controls the temperature of airflow to guarantee hair isn’t harmed by excessive heat build-up.
On test, it was undoubtedly one of the quicker hair dryers we’ve evaluated, requiring just 3 minutes and 47 seconds to fully dry our below-shoulder-length fine hair, but it’s also one of the noisiest too – measuring 82db on it’s fastest setting. This is similar to a diesel truck moving along the road at 40mph.
It’s odd design includes a considerably wider-than-usual barrel, making it hefty and heavier than typical hair dryers. It definitely made our arms ache when using it, but if you’re concerned about preventing heat damage, we still think it’s a worthy hair dryer.
- Fast drying speeds
- Regulates the temperature
- Choice of attachments
- Unusual design
10. Laifen Hair Dryer, Negative Ionic Blow Dryer with 110
- 【Unique Compact Design】Laifen's exclusive technology compensates excessive...
- 【High-Speed Brushless Motor & Fast Drying】Laifen hair dryer is equipped with...
- 【Ionic Negative Hair Dryer】Laifen blow dryer has 200 million negative ions,...
- 【3 Color LED Ring Light & Low Noise】A unique design of the hair dryer. You...
- 【Simple, Safe & Lightweight】Laifen hairdryer weighs only 0.9 lb/407g and...
The Laifen Swift, like the Dyson Supersonic, uses a brushless motor to provide ultra-quick drying that is kind to delicate hair. It has smart thermo sensors that enable constant temperature monitoring, protecting your hair from heat damage.
Its cutting-edge ionic construction improves luster while also lowering static electricity and taming frizz. The best part is that you only need to shell out $159.99 for this high-quality blow dryer.
While we are still working on this review, we can tell you that we are excited to compare the Supersonic to the other hair dryers we have covered in this primer.
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Choosing a Hair Dryer
Nothing is more annoying than having to take many breaks while blow drying your hair because using the dryer requires a lot of strength. When comparing different models of hair dryers, weight is an important consideration. Be wary of choosing a hair dryer that lists a weight significantly higher than the customary couple of pounds.
b) Heat Settings
Some hair dryers have as many as five different heat settings, while others may only offer two. Pay special attention to the dryer’s settings if you want warm air instead of hot air or even cool air. Naturally, there will be less destruction from cooler air.
c) Speed Settings
Drying time can be significantly reduced with a more powerful hair drier, which is especially helpful for those with thicker hair. Plus, dryers might have more than one speed setting, with two or three being the norm. If you find that blow-drying your hair at higher speeds is problematic, this is a helpful option.
d) Cord Length
When drying your hair, do you like to stand or sit? Do you happen to know if there’s a nearby socket for your clothes dryer? Given that blow drying your hair can take significantly longer than you’d want, having a long cord is crucial for your comfort. An extension cord can be used, but it’s simpler to just check the dryer’s chord length to see how far it will go.
Different methods of blow drying hair have devoted followers. Dryers come in a wide variety of styles and feature a wide variety of technologies, such as ionic, pearl ceramic, infrared, tourmaline, hydronic crystal, Aeroprecis, and more. What’s more, the dryer’s technology is usually optimized for use with particular hair types. Ionic technology, for instance, works wonders on frizzy hair.
i) How do you use a hair dryer?
The best method of hair drying is the one that works best for you, taking into account your hair’s texture and your personal preference. In many cases, there is no single correct approach. First, pat your hair dry with a towel once you get out of the shower. Use a heat protectant and your preferred hair products. After sectioning your hair, use the rest of your process as best suits your hair type.
ii) What type of hair dryer is safest for hair?
Using a hair dryer on your hair will cause damage over time. However, ionic, ceramic, or tourmaline hair dryers with different heat settings are the safest option.
iii) How often should you dry your hair?
There is no hard and fast rule on how many times a week you should blow dry your hair. How often you wash your hair, the type of hair you have, how long it takes to dry, and how much damage you’re ready to accept are all variables. It’s not recommended to use a hair dryer after each and every shower.