Vanity plates are popular among many people. Yet the frame of a vanity plate is often overlooked. Our license plates communicate a cheeky, profound, or meaningful message. However, no matter how cool your license plate is, it won’t matter if it’s framed in an ugly frame.
Top 5 License Plate Frames: Editor Pick’s
A license plate frame should match your car’s brand, model, and personality. It should also comply with local traffic laws. How can you be sure you have bought the best license plate frame. Let us look at ten popular products, then narrow it down to one.
The 10 Best License Plate Frames Reviews
1. H C Hippo Rhinestone License Plate Frame
- 2 Pack U.S. & Canada Standard Fit - Designed for standard 12.25" x 6.25" license...
- License Plate Frame for Women & Men - Our blinged out diamond car accesories...
- Premium Quality - Made of stainless steel, which is durable and rust free. Over...
- Easy to Install - The sparkle license plate frames are easy to install & include...
- Secure and Waterproof - These bedazzled license plates frames use waterproof...
Rhinestones are far more affordable than diamonds, a girl’s best friend. This license plate frame is covered in them! The frame is available in champagne (yellowish gold), pink, or crystal clear (white). To maintain its bling consistency, this wide-bottom frame comes in a gift box with studded screw caps. It has over 1,000 rhinestones on each plate.
License plate frames are made of stainless steel, and those screw caps double as anti-theft devices. The stones are tightly packed by hand to prevent rust, corrosion, scratching, or scraping. In order to prevent your rhinestones from damaging your paintwork, the edges are also ground. Even though it’s a wide-bottom frame, it’s designed to comply with bottom tags and corner tags.
To accommodate the thickness of the rhinestones, its screws are extra-long. Plate holders come with a 90-day satisfaction guarantee or 100% of your money back. With all those rhinestones, the license plate frame weighs 1.7 pounds. Take care with the screw caps, though.
Make sure the screws are snugly fitting into the washers before clicking on the lock cap. Otherwise, the screw caps will easily pop off. However, once they’re in place, you’ll have to be careful. Adjusting or replacing your frame requires firmly prying off the caps without damaging them.
Adding a little bling to your rear – and your bumper too – is easy with H C Hippo. Just watch out for the driver behind you. All that shine may distract them right into your fender!
2. Rico Patriots Chrome License Plate Frame
- Durable and long-lasting license frame measures a standard 6 x 12.25-inches
- Acrylic inserts are laser cut with team name and logos and hand-assembled
- Two pre-drilled holes allows for easy mounting, fits most license plates
- Made of metal in sleek silver chrome color; Proves to be resistant to the...
- Imported and Finished in the USA
Rico NFL license plate frames are perfect for sports fans who want to announce their team loyalty. The merchandise is official NFL merchandise, so you can be sure the proceeds will go to your team. With this wide-bottom license plate frame, you can affix your team’s name and logo to that lower width. More than thirty team options are available, and some have laser-cur options as well.
The space between two screws is often left open on two screw tags. Space is at a premium on this tag, so that upper ledge contains your team’s home state. It is unfortunate if your team hails from states with bottom-tagging, such as Colorado or Idaho, since these frames will not comply with the state’s requirements.
The zinc-and-chrome license plate tag is unbothered in all other states. The size is 12 inches by 6 inches, so make sure it fits your car. In case you are concerned about the place of manufacture, these NFL-endorsed All-American tags are made in China. Predrilled holes make installation easier on this one-piece frame.
The package includes two screws per piece of this license plate frame, as well as screw caps, washers, and a specialty screwdriver.
The name of their favorite team can be emblazoned on daily rides for football fans. This one-piece license plate frame has no cover and is not suitable for states that have bottom-tagged license plates.
3. SunplusTrade Mirrored Steel License Plate Frame
- New 2 Holes Slim Style Design License Plate Frame. Will Not Block State Tags....
- High Quality Rust Free Stainless Steel License Plate Frame: Protects Against...
- Easy Installation And Comes With 2 License Plate Frame, 4 Screw Caps, 4...
- For U.S. License Plate: License Plate Frame Size 6-5/16" x 12-1/4"
- Stylish Construction With Chrome Finishing
The way license plates are marked varies from state to state in the US. Various lists include tags on top, some at the bottom, while others feature insignia at the corners. Since the narrow border leaves all corners exposed, slim-line license plate frames can be used anywhere in the US.
The SunPlusTrade slimline is made of mirrored stainless steel, so it is especially effective at highlighting vanity plates. Sunlight (or street lights) will reflect off the mirrored glazing, drawing attention to your customized car tag. Chrome-plated stainless steel resists harsh weather, harmful UV rays, rust, corrosion, and manual damage.
Silver-shaded, this gleaming license plate holder weighs over 6 ounces. The self-tapping screws are easy to install, and the license plate frame requires no maintenance. Easily glosses up your bumper and offsets any license plate color. Additionally, the license plate frame has support tabs and washers to reduce rattling when your car is in motion.
SunPlusTrade offers a beautiful product. The design adds a touch of class to any license plate. There are no spacers, pads, or cushioning, so it could scratch your paint job.
4. Ohuhu Holes Black Licenses Plates Frames
- For U.S. license plate: This Black License Frame size is 6-3/8" x 12-1/4"
- Strong & rust-free Plate Frame - Crafted with high quality aluminum, but NOT...
- Simple installation with vehicle's existing 2 license plate fasteners (screws...
- This Car Matte Aluminum Licence Plate frame is designed not to block...
- Powder coated Black Matte Finish, this 2 holes Car Licence Plate will never peel...
This plate measures 6 3/8 by 12 or 14 inches and is ideal for US license plates. This wide bottom license plate frame has a border of 1 and 1/8th inches on the entire bottom edge. It is not suitable for states with bottom license tags. The corner tags are left exposed, so make sure it complies with your state and county requirements.
The package includes an aluminum license plate frame with two screws, screw caps, washers, rivets, and a custom screwdriver. Screw openings are 1.65mm, leaving a gap of 4 and 1/8 inch from the frame’s bottom. The frame’s sides are smooth and rounded.
Providing a polished, professional look, this looks good. It’s also a safety measure. When handling, installing, or swapping out the license plate frame, you are unlikely to cut yourself. There are two frame pieces in the box. Aluminum is lightweight, so you are unlikely to cut yourself.
Maintaining your license plate frame is easy with the sleek finish and stylish top coat. The matte black powder coating adds a clean, aesthetic touch to your license plate while making it waterproof, rust-proof, and weatherproof. Chip-free, peel-free, and 8 ounces in weight, it does not chip, pickle, or peel away.
Besides looking great on your car, the Ohuhu is also gentle on your wallet. If your state is Alabama or Wisconsin, you will be unable to attach the lower tags due to the wide bottom edge. Make sure you check the legal requirements.
5. Product Express Aluminum License Plate Frame
- Personalized Custom Made - License Plate Frame Auto Exterior Acessory
- Chrome Steel - 6x12 Standard Size License Plate Frame
- Vinyl Print - High Quality, and Durable Under Any Weather Condition
- Easy Installation and Sharp Look
- Auto Tag Holder Tag Cover
Instead of just customizing the plate, why not also customize the text? Adding wording (or numbers) to your license plate frame is easy using Product Express. There’s not much space for text on the slimline frame, which is usually 6 inches by 12 inches.
As the text is ‘written’ in via waterproof vinyl cutouts, you may have to wait while they do it. This only applies if you’re buying it in person. When you order online – and most drivers do – you can pre-order the message you want before you pay. Its chrome steel frame has tabs on the underside to reduce vibrations and keep it quiet, stable, and unrotting.
It’s a one-piece plate, so not as versatile. Despite the bottom spacers, it uses just two top screws. This keeps the frame from moving while driving. Even after years of use, the metal won’t break or crack under outdoor conditions. The tailored plates do not include hardware. To install them, you will need screws.
For non-standard license plate promotion, Product Express may be a good option. Screws aren’t included, but the sizing is standard, so the parts aren’t hard to find.
6. Zone Tech Clear Smoked Cover License Plate Frame
- ► SMOKEY BUBBLE DESIGN - The Zone Tech license plate shields are lightweight...
- ► PROTECTION - The Zone Tech license plate shields provides protection from...
- ► PREMIUM QUALITY - The Zone Tech license plate shields is made from premium...
- ► USER FRIENDLY - The Zone Tech license plate shields is user friendly and is...
- ► STANDARD FIT - The Zone Tech license plate shields is designed to fit all...
License plate frames made of plastic are rarely a good idea. They are easily damaged and do not last long. Despite its basic construction, Zone Tech’s version has a bit of an aesthetic edge. Slimline with bubbled edges, this model has a bit more heft. There is a black smoked glass cover, and the measurements are standard for license plates in Canada and the United States.
The frame is made from acrylic with a UV protective coating to increase its lifespan. All necessary hardware is included in the package, and it’s a two-piece four-screw set-up. Using a rag or sponge wrung out of warm, soapy water will help maintain a clean frame. Plastic can be damaged by abrasive pads and abrasive cleaning products.
During installation, make sure the screws are tight, but not too tight. Overtightening them will crack the plastic and wear out the threaded holes. The frame weighs just over a pound, and its black cover is clear enough to read the license through, despite being misted. Installing this item is quick and easy, and it withstands the elements outdoors. In addition, it doesn’t yellow over time.
Zone Tech makes a good case for plastic license plate frames. There’s no need to worry about it breaking despite the seasons, so long as you do not screw it in too tightly.
7. Karoad Stainless Steel Car Licence Plate Covers
- 100% STAINLESS STEEL MATERIAL : Made of stainless steel , which is harder than...
- POWDER COATED BLACK MATTE FINISH: The edges of license plate frames are slick...
- SLIM & FASHION DESIGN: The border of frame is Only 0.55 inch, it will not block...
- STANDARD FRAME SIZE: Fits standard US vehicles especially including Ohio and...
The majority of the license plate frames we’ve examined so far were two-screw installations. The four-screw option is much more stable and less wobbly. With powder coating to keep out the elements, it’s made of stainless steel. In order to prevent fingers from being slit, the edges of your frame are thickened, rounded, smoothed, and rounded. It’s designed to fit standard license plates.
Black is the dominant color on this slimline frame, making it understated and cool. The kit includes screws, washers, snap caps, and tools to make installation easy. In order to avoid cracks, peeling, or chipping, the paint is especially applied. This two-piece set weighs 8 ounces. All-around, the border is a little over half an inch (0.55 inches, safely exposing the bottom tags).
The license plate holder is convenient and stylish. There are no spacers on it, but there is a plastic frame that provides a little lift. Furthermore, since the oxidative paint is so thick and smooth, there are no corners and edges that could accidentally scratch the body paint of your car. This is a basic design, and its simplicity (and slim border) ensures a snug fit around any state registration.
Take a break from drama with a simple license plate frame like the Karoad. It installs easily, requires little maintenance, and lasts longer than cheap plastic alternatives.
8. Cruiser Accessories Daisy License Plate Frame
- Simplistic yet powerful, say it with a Daisy
- Hand painted to show off the detail of a yellow and white daisy
- Durable zinc die cast metal frame is chrome plated, carefully hand polished and...
- Designed to fit all standard 6x12 inch novelty/license plates
- User friendly and easy to install, see back of package for installation...
Many people think customizing your car is a masculine thing to do. When you want to give your wheels a girly touch, Cruiser Daisy is a good place to start. Chrome frame with deep decorative details that resemble the leaves and flowers of a daisy. They are beautifully incorporated into the stem, giving them a subtle, pretty appearance.
Any corner details, such as year or month of registration, are highlighted by the flower in every corner. This is a four-screw license plate frame, but it is a basic one-piece design. The most useful Cruiser accessories include a cover, novelty plate, mounting plate, and novelty plate. Purchasing the screws separately is also necessary.
Hand-painted zinc die-cast frame is chrome coated with zinc. Then it’s polished to a high shine. Standard license plates measure 6″ x 12″. Detailing on each leaf and flower enhances the delicate ambience this frame creates on your car. On a dreary day, your driving will be enlivened by the yellow and glossy leaves.
The frame is also weatherproof. Simple ways can soften your car and make it your own. Consider buying Cruiser Daisy license plate frames. Don’t forget the screws!
9. Aggressive Overlays Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame
- ✅ NEW & IMPROVED!! - 100% Carbon Fiber - Gloss UV Coating - High Quality...
- ✅ 100% Carbon Fiber and that means - No Metal - No Rust - No Corrosion. This...
- ✅ New Smooth shiny surface make this frame really beautiful! Clear Coat finish...
- ✅ Includes Screws and Black Caps for Installation. Easy Install, mounts into...
- ✅ FREE REPLACEMENTS - If you are not happy with your frame. Please contact...
After a phase of super softness, we now jump to a phase of super hardness. Take a look at this carbon fiber license plate frame instead of that delicate floral design. It has rounded corners and edges. After all, regardless of how manly you are, you don’t like bleeding.
Female drivers may also enjoy it, especially because of the realistic textured effect. It has a high gloss finish and is created through a 3D twill weave. Eight screws, four screw caps, and four washers are included in this four-screw system. It weighs nearly nine ounces and is manufactured by Aggressive Overlays. It has thick borders that sometimes obscure your car’s state name even though it’s a slimline.
A potential thief may try to steal your license plate frame because it looks pretty rugged. Screw caps are not designed to prevent theft. It’s for aesthetics and safety, so it’s still possible to have your license plate stolen. It’s easier to mount, more attractive, and less expensive. Thus, if someone should snatch it, you are able to replace it quickly.
Talk to Aggressive Overlays if you want to give your car a rugged look. Their glossy carbon fiber frame matches your horsepower in true stallion style.
10. DFDM Powder Pink License Plate Frame
- PROUDLY PINK: From the Pink Panther to Pink Lemonade, Pink is in! This frame,...
- LEGAL UNIVERSAL FIT: Use this frame on your domestic, import, and European CAR,...
- ANTI-THEFT DESIGN: Criminals often steal license plate frames to hide stolen...
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: We are committed to you and this frame. We provide a...
- VARIATION OPTIONS: There are multiple color variations such as, polished steel,...
The DFDM comes in black, stainless steel, and carbon, but you can also pick it up in pink. The three alternatives all have matte and glossy versions, so you’re sure to find a color you like. Remember that these terms refer to the color of your license plate frame, not its construction material. There are six different colors available.
Anti-theft caps protect your car from thugs and thieves, but they also reduce scratches. There is a lifetime warranty on the 304-gauge steel frame. The frame is one piece with two screw holes. Aside from the narrow frame and eye-catching colors, this frame is sleek and simple. It comes with a matching screw cap.
Stainless steel tamper-proof screws match the color of the frame. Licence plate frames weigh 6.1 ounces, and the hot pink color won’t dull or fade over time. In case of anti-theft covers, you’ll get stainless steel versions, but you can save money by shopping for ABS color-coded caps. Frames have spacers to prevent vibration damaging them.
For a hot pink license plate frame for your hot pink car, contact DFDM. It is also available in black or steely gray, but be sure to ask for the anti-theft model!
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Choose License Plate Frame
Customized car plates often make us giggle and marvel. The surface of the license plate frame makes a difference beyond the message itself. Consider these factors as you shop for the best license plate frame. In this article, we’ll discuss function, aesthetics, and value.
Several states and neighborhoods prefer to keep their license plate frames standard. They may dictate the color, font, style, embellishments, and even the number of characters you can use on your license plate. It is possible in some areas to limit the type of wording on your plate.
In addition, license plates aren’t universal. The location of license plates varies from vehicle to vehicle. In some cases, the plate frame needs to be recessed or tucked into a sconce. Take careful measurements of your license plate, including its thickness, to determine what the rules are in your region.
It’s fairly easy to trim the edges if necessary. But that requires additional work and additional expense. In addition, some license plate frames are hard to cut through. Get the sizing right from the beginning. Add any additional spacing needs, such as a deeper cover plate.
What is the mechanism of attaching the license plate to its frame? Some models use four screws, others have more. Some use rivets, while others clasp. The four-screw plate is more stable and less rattly than the two-screw plate. Also check the type of screws to see if you need any specialized tools. Are all the screws, tools, brackets, and other parts included?
License plate frames are made from materials that affect your hardware. Metal, plastic, carbon, or a combination of these materials can be used to construct license plate frames. UV protection and weatherproofing may already be baked into these materials. That affects the size and composition of the hardware. Plastic plates may have thinner, lighter screws than a metallic license plate frame.
Location affects hardware as well. Licence plates, like cables, plumbing pipes, and water outlets, are not universal. The Imperial and Metric systems are used differently by Canada, the U.S., Japan, and Europe. Accordingly, if you have purchased an automobile – and if it was manufactured elsewhere, you may require additional screws or specs.
c) Driving Conditions
Corrosion is more likely to occur in seaside areas with salt and silt. A protective cover or an anti-scratch coating is needed for your license plate frame. Especially in places that have frost and snowfall, it might be necessary to protect against freezing rain rather than frost. Similar to areas receiving intense sunlight, an area with reflective plates may want to avoid them.
In areas with a lot of dust, gravel, or uneven ground, driving can be difficult. The wheels of your car can kick up a lot of debris that can damage your license plate, chip it, or even pull it off. There may be a benefit to installing a recessed license plate frame, or one with a protective dome.
Parking is also part of your driving conditions. In the harsh tropical sun, your car will quickly wear out if it is left outside all day. This is why you need a license plate that can withstand daily tanning. Alternatively, if your commute involves a lot of bird and insect traffic, you’ll want a plate that’s easy to wipe down.
d) Shock Absorption
Car owners who have been around for a while usually know when something strange is going on with their vehicle. Possibly the license plate frame is loose or the part is defective. Many buyers rush to get a slim-line license plate frame, but these are sometimes installed flush against the car, and over time, this can cause rattling. The spacer on some license plates is designed to alleviate this problem.
Apart from cushioning the license plate while you drive, the barrier reduces friction between the plate and the car frame. In this way, both the car and the license plate are less likely to be cracked, chipped, or scratched. In addition to improving airflow, spacers can increase evaporation, which reduces water damage caused by prolonged exposure to condensation.
Get The Right Plate!
We have one more thing to say if you’re still reading. We recommend you buy the SunPlus:
- Slimline design complies with all US license plate regulations.
- Any car color or brand will look good with its mirrored steel finish.
- It is resistant to rust, corrosion, staining, and weather damage.
- It comes in a two-piece assembly with screws, washers, and caps.
- Fits standard US plates (roughly 12 inches by 6 inches).
- A screwdriver is included for its two-screw installation.