Do you feel it is time to touch up your steel bumper with some paint? Painting a bumper does not have to be a difficult task. If you have good paint, your job is halfway done. However, the tricky thing here would be to find the right paint that your bumper needs.
There is no need to worry, though, because I am here to help. After some extensive research, I came up with a list of the ten best paint for steel bumper.
Top 5 Paint for Steel Bumper: Editor Recommended
In this article, I will be telling you all that you need to know about these products. I have also included a short buying guide that you can follow if you do not know where to start.
The 10 Best Paint for Steel Bumper Reviews:
Even if you try to be super careful, your bumper will take some abuse every now and then, and before you know it, it will start to show.
If you want to keep your vehicle looking good as new, you are going to need good paint. Below you will find a list of the ten best spray paint for steel.
1. Genuine Honda Modern Steel Metallic Touch Up Paint
- Used for: 2013 Honda Accord 2/4-door
- High quality PPG paint
- Makes fixing small scratches on your vehicle quick and easy
- High quality, tough acrylic paint resists UV rays to help ensure long life and...
The first product on the list is the Honda Modern Steel Metallic Touch-up paint. It is a high-quality product that can be a perfect match for your steel bumper.
This is an acrylic paint that is mainly used for Honda Accord 2/4-door. You get about 7.39 milliliters of this product in a small bottle.
The compact size of this steel bumper paint makes it easy to store and travel-friendly. This paint does an excellent job resisting UV rays which makes it quite long-lasting.
If you have scratched your steel bumper, showing some visible marks, you can easily use this thing to paint over it. There is an applicator brush inside the bottle that you can use to apply the best touch-up paint for cars easily.
The idea behind this touch-up paint is to make your car look good and provide a protective layer with the paint.
You can easily do that with this tough acrylic paint. The only complaint some people seem to have with this thing is the price.
Compared to the small size, the cost of this product can seem expensive. Other than that, this truly has what it takes to be one of the best bumper paint on the market.
- Great quality
- The compact size makes it easy to carry around
- UV resistant
- Tough acrylic paint offers good protection
- It is expensive given the small quantity of paint
2. Honda Genuine Modern Steel Metallic Touch Up Paint
- High quality
- Makes fixing small scratches quick and easy
- Attractive appearance
- Paint Code: NH797M
The next one on this list is another Honda paint pen that is quite popular among many. Not only is it a great quality paint, but it will also leave your vehicle looking more attractive than ever.
With this touch-up paint, you will have an effortless time painting over and fixing minor scratch marks.
Its steel metallic color will likely make it a great match for your steel bumper or even some other parts of your vehicle. You get two applicators with this thing, a pen, and a brush.
The pen allows you to focus on very small scratches and work with precision. You can open this thing to find an applicator brush that makes it very convenient to use.
On the other end, it also comes with a clear coat that you can also use to provide an attractive and protective coating over some areas of your car.
This thing leaves a very nice finish. All in all, this touch-up paint is one of the best paint for metal surfaces.
- Fixes small scratches easily
- Good quality paint
- Nice finish
- It comes with a clear coat
- The small applicator may be challenging for some
3. ERA Automotive Touch Up Paint Kit
- See image to easily Find Your Paint Code on your car. Also check out our 'How to...
- Apply clear coat - Improves color match, protects your paint and enhances sheen....
- Our easy to use and affordable car touch up spray paint products can repair any...
- Mixed to exact match OEM color for BMW (A52 Space Gray Metallic) - our...
- Have small chips and scratches? - Check out our Jar Touch Up Paint which applies...
When it comes to applying touch-ups to automotive parts, ERA paints are the best. This paint kit comes with a base coat as well as a clear coat with some quality paint.
First of all, this is excellent spray paint for some DIY work on your car. The kit is highly affordable and will allow you to save some bucks without compromising the quality of the paint.
This thing is not only reasonably priced, but it is also incredibly easy to use. Here you get a 12oz base coat spray paint and one 10oz clear coat spray. The paint can easily cover a 4×4 ft area with two coats.
Keep in mind that you might need more than one spray can if you want to re-paint your bumper. This product is absolutely great for fixing scratch marks around the vehicle.
The base coat has been made using the OEM manufacturer’s paint formula to be a precise match.
However, the paint can come out to be slightly darker than your car, which makes it a bit challenging to match the color. Other than that, this automotive paint kit does not leave much room for disappointment.
- Very affordable
- Kit includes a base coat and clear coat spray
- Ease of use makes it perfect for DIY work
- Great for doing touch-ups on scratch marks
- It can be a bit tricky to match the color
4. Genuine GM ACDelco Clear Coat Touch Up Paint
- Brand new from GM's ACDelco division
- 2-in-1 design includes both the paint color & clear top coat
- Abrasive tip on bottle cap to remove any peeling paint still attached
- Includes a pen-tip applicator & a brush applicator for the paint color
- Base of bottle has clear coat with a foam-tipped applicator inside
If you need touch-up paint to cover up small scratch marks on your steel bumper, the Mocha Steel WA706S is the perfect paint for the job. It is one of the best paint for bare metal from GM’s ACDelco division.
One of the great things about this product is its 2-in-1 design. This product comes with not only the paint but also a clear coat for versatility.
For your ease, manufacturers have included several applicators, a pen and a brush for painting, and a foam-tipped applicator for the clear coat at the base.
You will find an abrasive tip on the cap that you can use to remove any peeling paint easily. The bottle is relatively compact in size, which makes it easy to store and easy to carry around.
Matching the color can be a slight learning curve; make sure you shake the bottle well before use to ensure proper mixing of the paint; otherwise, the color may come out darker than expected.
This paint is very easy to apply; even if you have never done touch-ups before, it will not take much time for you to get the hang of it. When you are done, your vehicle will look as good as new!
- The 2-in-1 design adds user convenience
- There are several applicators
- The compact size makes it travel friendly
- Quite durable
- It may take some trial and error to match the color
5. Genuine OEM Automotive Spray Touch Up Paint
- Premium quality, genuine OEM 100% color matched automotive touch up paint,...
- We only mix our paint to your specific color code after you have placed your...
- We offer the best customer service available to help you find your paint code,...
- Please note: While we can guarantee a 100% color match to the original color...
- Aerosol Spray Touch Up Paint(basecoat) comes in a 12 oz size by volume. With one...
Next, we have a set by American Touch Up that comes with a basecoat spray paint and a clear coat spray. This spray paint has everything needed to be the best spray paint for steel, from its quality to durability.
First of all, this is in the color modern steel metallic, which can a perfect match for your steel bumper if you want to make some changes.
Here you get a 12oz aerosol spray touch-up paint and a 12oz clear coat spray. The 12oz spray paint can cover a 4ft by 4ft area easily. With one look, you will notice the high quality of the paint.
That makes it perfect for touching up on scratch marks; however, you will likely need another can if you want to re-paint the entire bumper.
Not only does it leave an attractive finish, making your vehicle look better than ever, it also provides a strong and protective coating.
It helps resist future scratches. The application can be a bit challenging for some. However, other than that, this product offers good value and is one of the strongest spray paint you will find on the market.
- Tough paint provides a protective coating
- Highly quality and durable paint
- Set includes basecoat and clearcoat
- Ideal for small projects
- The application can be tricky
6. TouchUpDirect NH-797M Aerosol Touch Up Paint
- Jar with brush-in-cap style applicator.
- Great for parking lot scratches such as a scraped mirror or scuffed bumper.
- For areas bigger than a thumbnail.
- The Touch Up Brush is perfect for when you have slightly larger touch up needs....
- Filled with 0.35 oz. of our low-VOC environmentally friendly touch-up paint.
The following product is the ultimate paint kit for adding touch-ups to your vehicle. The platinum packages everything you will need to fix those stubborn scratch marks on your bumper with ease.
First, let us take a look at all the things you get with this package. Here you get a spray can with waterborne paint, a clear coat spray, and a primer.
Primers can be very useful when you are down to the bare metal, and this is one of the best metal primer spray paint available.
Additionally, you will also get a polishing compound and a wax and grease remover that can come in super handy with prepping and the final touch-up.
The applicator is the aerosol spray can, and it comes with a comfort tip for user convenience. The spray cans come with 12 ounces of liquid which makes them perfect for small touch-up tasks.
This thing is also pretty easy to use. Each of the spray cans contains low-VOC for a more environmentally friendly approach.
The only downside here is that this kit is not ideal for larger projects such as re-painting the entire bumper or cover hoods and trunk lids; you will need more than one can for all that.
- Professional-grade paint
- It comes with a primer along with the paint and a clear coat
- Easy to use
- Environmentally friendly
- Not ideal for large projects
7. PAINTSCRATCH Touch Up Paint Pen Car
- PROFESSIONAL INDUSTRY STANDARD COLOR MATCH - PaintScratch custom makes this...
- TOUCH UP PAINT PEN AUTOMOTIVE CAR SCRATCH REPAIR KIT - This touch up paint Pen...
- INDUSTRY STANDARD AUTOMOTIVE PAINT ACCORDING TO COLOR CODE - Paint codes...
- PAINT PEN - PaintScratch custom mixes and manufactures the paint Pen so it will...
- PAINT PEN EASE OF USE - The paint pens in this touch up paint kit are similar to...
The next one on the list is a custom-made touch-up paint pen by PaintScratch. This car scratch repair kit has everything you may need to make sure the touch-up goes smoothly.
The repair kit comes with a 1/2oz basecoat paint pen for fixing scratches and a 1/2oz clear coat pen to apply over the paint.
Additionally, it also includes a 2oz cutting crème which is basically a rubbing compound that is used to polish out paint scratches. So, applying it after the clear coat will leave your bumper with a very attractive finish.
If you have this one convenient pen that does it all, you will not have to run to the store and buy additional tools to apply the paint. The pen applicator is easy to use, much like a sharpie, and can be used precisely.
One issue that comes up with brushes is the blob of paint that can mess up the application. You will not have to worry about this since it allows you an easy time controlling the pen.
The only downside of using this pen is that it is not ideal for larger projects. Other than that, you will hardly find anything to complain about with this repair kit.
- 3 in one kit includes a cutting crème
- Very easy to use and control pen
- Ideal for small projects that require precision
- It leaves a very shiny finish
- Not good for large projects
8. Ford Fusion UN Touch Up Clear Coat
If your car or bumper has a blue metallic color and requires some scratch repair, this Ford Fusion touch-up paint can be just what you need. The paint and clear coat combo will restore faded plastic bumpers that original attractive look of your vehicle and leave it looking good as new.
This thing comes in a paint jar and is 2oz in volume. After you have applied this onto the peel-off or scratch marks, you can use the 1oz clear coat and apply it over the paint to get a nice finish. It also comes with two brush applicators for your convenience.
This touch-up kit is perfect for hiding minor scratches and rock chips. The paint is not only of excellent quality, but it is also highly durable and even offers some protection from future peel-offs.
Since you also get a clear coat with this thing, you can actually save a few bucks since you do not have to buy one separately.
So, if you are not sure which paint to go for, this can be a great option. This product is very easy to use, especially with the brush applicators that allow you to work with precision.
- Combo set includes paint and clear coat
- Brush applicators are easy to use
- Ideal for working on small tasks needing precision
- Provides an OEM level of shine and protection
- Not ideal for large project
9. PAINTSCRATCH Car Touch Up Spray Paint Can
- PROFESSIONAL INDUSTRY STANDARD COLOR MATCH - PaintScratch custom makes this...
- TOUCH UP PAINT SPRAY CAN AUTOMOTIVE CAR SCRATCH REPAIR KIT - This touch up paint...
- INDUSTRY STANDARD AUTOMOTIVE PAINT ACCORDING TO COLOR CODE - Paint codes...
- PAINT SPRAY CAN - PaintScratch custom mixes and manufactures the paint Spray Can...
- PAINT SPRAY CAN EASE OF USE - The aerosol spray cans in this touch up paint kit...
Next, we have another car scratch repair kit by PaintScratch, but this time, it comes in a spray can. So, if you are someone who feels more comfortable using spray cans, this best bumper paint can be just what you need.
This repair kit includes everything you need to re-paint your car’s bumper. It comes with a 12oz basecoat spray can to apply touch-ups and a 12oz clear coat to apply over the paint.
The manufacturers also included a cutting crème for applying over the clear coat so that the bumper is left with a brilliant shine.
These 12oz aerosol spray cans are able to cover about 6 square feet each. This coverage also depends on the color of the paint, meaning darker colors require more amount compared to the lighter ones.
The aerosol spray cans are also pretty easy to use, so you will not have to worry about making a mess.
It is a great repair kit to have if your scratch marks take up a larger area. You can use this thing straight out of the box and start spraying. All in all, this is an excellent quality paint kit that will give you great results.
- Great quality paint
- Quite easy to use
- Suitable for more prominent scratch marks or covering more area
- Cutting crème leaves the best shine
- Not ideal for smaller tasks requiring precision
10. Eastwood Stainless Steel Coating Paint
- Ideal For Bumpers, Brackets, Trim Pieces
- Replicates Stainless Steel Look
- Protects From Corrosion
- Maximum Temperature 300 Degrees F
- Provides A Protective And Super-Durable Finish
Finally, the last product on this list is the stainless steel detail paint coating by Eastwood. This high-quality paint can be just what you need to fix your steel bumper.
It is the ideal paint coating for brackets, bumpers, and trim pieces. If your steel bumper has scratch marks showing all over it, this thing can be used to get back that original stainless steel look.
It leaves a very shiny and attractive finish and provides a protective and tough coating. So, the bumper will have some resistance to scratches in the future.
The protective and durable coating also protects from corrosion and UV rays. Not just that, it also offers heat resistance up to 300oF.
This product comes in a 12oz spray bottle, covering approximately 6 square feet of area with ease. It has a matte finish with a gloss level ranging between 4 to 15 percent.
This thing is also resistant to antifreeze and motor oil. After curing, it has a thickness of about 2 millimeters. The super durable finish will keep the bumper protected for a long time.
- Excellent quality paint
- Resistant to corrosion and UV rays
- It leaves a super durable finish
- Offers heat resistance up to 300oF
- Not the best for tasks requiring precision
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Choose Paint for Steel Bumper
That was all about the list of the best paint for steel bumper. However, our work is not done yet.
Buying a good paint does not have to be complicated, but there are some things that you need to think about when making your choice. Below I have put together a short buying guide, listing all the factors that you should consider.
a) Type of Paint
The very first thing you need to know is what type of paint you want to use. Below are the three main types of paint that I have covered in this paint for bumper steel review.
- Spray Cans
The first one is spray cans. Spray cans are suitable for touching up somewhat bigger peel-offs and scratches. They do not require any additional applicators and can be used straight out of the box.
- Touch up Pens
These touch-up paint pens are ideal for tiny scratches and any task that requires accuracy. For application, these pens can either have a brush tip, a pen tip or sometimes both.
The brush tips are an excellent solution for chip repair. On the other hand, pen tips allow you to easily touch up on a very precise point.
- Paint Jars
Paint jars can be another alternative for painting your bumper. These typically come with brush applicators and are suitable for concealing minor scratches.
Another important thing to consider is the amount of coverage you will need from the product, depending on the nature of your task.
Do not let the size fool you since even a smaller spray can may provide more coverage than a bigger one. Before you make a choice, check out how much area the paint is able to cover.
c) Color Match
This is something a lot of people tend to struggle with. Since you are working on repairing minor scratch marks on your car, you need something that will match the original color. Make sure to use the appropriate car color code to find the perfect match for your bumper.
d) Durability and Finish
The finishing is a significant factor to consider. Not only should it look good, but you also want it to be durable and offer protection. Some paints also provide resistance to UV rays and corrosion. Also, some provide heat resistance.
e) Ease of Use
If you are not a professional automotive painter, you may find it challenging to achieve your expected results. That is why you need a product that is easy to use—something with an easy-to-use applicator and paint that can be applied evenly with ease.
f) Additional Tools and Accessories
As you can see from the products mentioned on this list, they can come with their own sets and combos. There are some spray combo sets that include the basecoat and a clear coat. Some paint jars may or may not include a brush applicator.
A lot of these kits also include primers which can come in pretty handy. So, depending on what you are looking for, should you make your final decision.
Lastly, you should think about how much you are willing to spend on this thing. The price of the product can vary depending on the brand, type of paint, etc. Depending on your budget, you can decide what type of paint will be right for you.
Frequently Asked Questions
i) Is re-painting a steel bumper pricy?
If you get professional help, it can be pretty expensive. However, if you plan on doing it yourself, it should not cost much. The cost of the paint and necessary tools is the only thing you will have to worry about.
ii) What paint best sticks to metal?
As long as the paint is made for metals, it does not matter if you use acrylic or something water-based.
iii) How to keep paint from chipping on metal?
For good protection, you should apply the paint in light coats. About three of these coats should be just fine.
iv) Is it better to spray or brush paint metal?
Both will do a pretty good job, depending on the product. However, spray cans will get the job done much faster. Brushes, on the other hand, are suitable for smaller tasks that need accuracy.
v) Do I have to prime the metal before painting?
It is good practice to apply a primer onto the metal before you begin painting. They help the color sit better and can keep it from oxidizing.
So, have you decided which one you are going to go with? You do not have to make a decision right now.
Just go through the buying guide carefully before making a choice. I hope you found this article helpful and that it will assist you in finding the best paint for steel bumper.