We have been reviewing and testing the top TENS devices for several years. Let us introduce you to our top three recommendations for 2022 with this year’s updated shopping list.
Each device is kept for a minimum of two weeks while we learn its ins and outs.
Our rundown will help you select the best equipment to alleviate your pain, whether you’re shopping for your first machine or looking to upgrade.
A few of the best TENS machines currently available are listed below.
Top 10 Tens Unit Consumer Reports: Editor Recommended
The 10 Best Tens Unit Consumer Reports Review:
1. TENS 7000 Digital TENS Unit With Accessories
- NEED PRESCRIPTION STRENGTH PAIN RELIEF? A TENS unit muscle stimulator and...
- OVER 1M TENS 7000 DEVICES SOLD: A consumer over the counter favorite back pain...
- A LEADER SINCE 2008: A 10+ year favorite TENS device among medical professionals...
- GET IMMEDIATE PAIN RELIEF: TENS machine comes with multiple TENS therapy modes...
- DUAL CHANNEL TENS UNIT: The TENS 7000 TENS unit provides TENS therapy and is a...
If you’re looking for a TENS unit that gets to work fast, then look no further than the Tens 7000 dual-channel gadget. It has several convenient features, including four functioning pads, five user-defined stimulation settings (from zero to 100 mA), and a programmable pulse rate. In addition, the machine is portable and runs on batteries, so you may use it anywhere.
- Great for relieving back pain, neck pain, and more
- Includes multiple accessories
- Easy to operate
- Suitable for everyday use
- Battery might not last long
2. Belifu Dual Channel TENS EMS Unit 24 Modes Muscle Stimulator
- Multifunctional Tens Massager with 24 Preprogrammed Massage Modes for Pa...
- Non Invasive, Non...
- A/B Dual Channels Tens with 24 Modes, 20 Levels Intensity and Time Co...
- Free Dust-Proof Drawstring Storage Bag, Reusable Fastening Cable Ties and 10 Pcs...
- Built in Powerful Rechargeable Lithium Battery-- up to 20 Hours of Continuous...
This TENS unit is a strong contender for the title of “best TENS unit for back pain and muscle relaxation.” It features 20 different degrees of intensity, dual channels, and 24 different massage modes. The lightweight and portable design makes it easy to take it with you, and the long-lasting battery ensures that you may use it for at least twenty hours straight.
- Comes with a dust-proof bag
- Has a charging reminder
- Provides instant relief
- Easy to personalize
- Might not be as user-friendly as you would want it to be
3. MEDVICE Rechargeable Tens Unit Muscle Stimulator
- PROFESSIONAL PAIN RELIEVER TENS UNIT - Clinically-proven, natural and effective...
- UPGRADED TENS UNIT PADS - The Low impedance Solid Gel has been upgraded to the...
- 16 PRE-PROGRAMMED MODES/INTENSITY ADJUSTMENT Our versatile muscle stimulator...
- RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM BATTERY - No worries about treatment interruption for dead...
- ENJOY ON THE GO WITH THE PORTABLE DESIGN - This mini tens unit muscle stimulator...
This sleek and sophisticated TENS unit from Medvice is packed with features to help you feel better. Those experiencing persistent discomfort will find it to be the ideal companion. There are 20 different levels of intensity, two different outputs, 16 different pre-programmed settings, and extra-soft pads to make your experience as soothing as possible. Additionally, it has a long battery life, allowing you to use it for up to 10 hours before needing a recharge.
- Durable electric pads
- Accommodates every sensitivity level
- Easy to use and understand
- Adjustable timer with auto-shutoff
- May not be durable enough
4. OMRON Max Power Relief TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator
- POWERFUL THERAPY: 2 times the power (compared to the OMRON Pocket Pain Pro TENS...
- CUSTOMIZED CONTROL: 6 body pain modes (shoulder, lower back, arm, foot, leg,...
- TENS TECHNOLOGY: Scientific theory suggests that TENS technology blocks the pain...
- PORTABLE: Compact and easily fits into purse, carry-on or briefcase for when you...
- CONVENIENT: User-friendly controls and a large display screen make for easy...
Omron makes a powerful and flexible TENS unit for relieving muscle discomfort. For people who suffer from chronic pain in their shoulders, knees, or lower backs, this device is a godsend. It has 15 levels of intensity, six pain modes, three massage modes, and an easy-to-read LCD. The extremely adaptable gadget can be used at home or on the go to treat pain from a variety of sources.
- Soft, comfortable pads
- Easy operation
- Compact design
- Highly adhesive
- Belt clip might not be durable
5. AUVON TENS EMS Unit 24 Modes Muscle Stimulator for Pain Relief
- TENS + EMS Combination Unit. AUVON TENS & PMS / EMS device combines 2 therapies...
- Independent Dual Channel. You can choose different modes and intensities for...
- Multi-Functional with 24 Mode. 20 levels of intensity, 24 preprogrammed massage...
- Upgraded TENS Unit Pads. The Low impedance Solid Gel has been upgraded to the...
- What You Receive: 1 x AUVON Dual Channel TENS machine, 12pcs 5cm x 5cm Electrode...
This device combines two therapies into a single potent package, significantly increasing the likelihood that you will experience significant pain relief. The unit gives you a wide range of control over your physical therapy thanks to its dual channels, 20 intensity settings, and 24 pre-set modes. You can treat two areas of the body at once, and the device will keep working for another ten hours after being fully charged.
- Medical-grade electrodes
- Highly adhesive and conductive
- Includes 12 pads
- Safe and durable
- May not be very intuitive
6. Easy@Home Rechargeable Compact Wireless TENS Unit – 510K Cleared,
- 💓 PAIN RELIEF WITH EMS MUSCLE STIMULATION: Natural, drug-free and highly...
- 💓WIRELESS DESIGN: Design allows users to move freely and is discreet under...
- 💓PROGRAMMABLE AND EASY CONTROL: 6 Automated Massage Programs and 20 Power...
- 💓RECHARGEABLE LONG-LASTING POWER: Rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides...
- 👍SAFETY AND WARRANTY: 💓We are so confident that you will love this product...
Without the need for lead wires, this ultra-portable and lightweight unit can be directly attached to pads. It has six modes and twenty intensity levels to help you target various areas, including the shoulders, arms, legs, and neck. The electrode pads are large, reusable, and extremely simple to adhere and flexible. You can be anywhere in the world, and this pocket-sized device will help you feel healthy and relaxed.
- Quick to recharge
- Simple to use
- Stimulates muscles
- Battery might not last long
7. NURSAL TENS Unit Muscle Stimulator with Continuous Stimulation
- 24 Modes (TENS+EMS) & Steady Pulse - The 24 pre-programmed tens unit muscle...
- Memory Function– NURSAL TENS machine remembers and sets the massage mode you...
- Adjustable 20 Intensity Levels & Timer – NURSAL rechargeable TENS unit -...
- 8 Reusable Electrode Pads, 2 Outputs –The strong self-adhesive property was...
- What you will receive: 1 x TENS & EMS Machine, 4 Palm Electrode Pads, 2 Large...
This TENS unit from Nursal is portable, lightweight, and easy to adjust to your preferences; it also features 24 different settings for relieving muscle discomfort. You can take it with you everywhere you go, and you won’t have to worry about adjusting the settings every time because of the excellent memory feature. The strong adhesive reusable electrode pads provide stimulation virtually effortlessly, and the rechargeable battery makes it convenient for outdoor massages.
- Eight electrode pads
- Offers 20 intensity levels
- Automatic shutoff
- Customizable settings
- Travel-friendly design
- Instructions may not be easy to follow for some
8. iSTIM EV-805 TENS EMS 4 Channel Rechargeable Combo Machine Unit
- TENS: "Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation"- a non-invasive, drug free...
- EMS: “Electrical Muscle Stimulation” is an internationally accepted and way...
- iStim EV-805: Rechargeable Digital TENS EMS combo stimulator comes with 4...
- JAPANESE ELECTRODE PADS: High-grade, and biocompatible Japanese gel, which...
- PRODUCT SET: Drug Free and Long-LastinPRODUCT SET: TENS + EMS Combo Unit x 1;...
The backlight on this TENS unit makes it easy to read at any time of day or night. There are five TENS settings, three EMS settings, 24 pre-set programs, four channels, and this device can help you feel better. The rechargeable device is secure and convenient thanks to its nonslip bar and metal belt clip. A carbon fiber wire and ultra-plush fabric go into the making of each premium electrode pad.
- Adjustable pulse rate and pulse width
- Customizable intensity
- Easy to operate at night as well
- Charges quickly
- Battery life might not be impressive
9. Dual Channel TENS EMS and Relax Muscle Stimulator
- ALL IN ONE KIT: Includes TENS EMS massager electronic device, 16 reusable...
- TENS Muscle Massager with multiple functions for back pain relief and muscle...
- SCIATICA PAIN RELIEF AT HOME: Back massager electronic device for body pains...
- EMS MUSCLE STIMULATOR: 2 independent channels with 24 modes, 20 intensity levels...
- NERVE MUSCLE PAIN RELIEF: You can use TENS machine throughout the day, just...
In order to alleviate pain as quickly and effectively as feasible, Neocarbon created a device with two independent channels. The machine has 24 different settings, 16 different electrode pads, and an easy-to-read LCD to alleviate discomfort caused by menstruation, tension, and aging. Up to fifty uses are possible with each pad, and a full charge can keep it going for 10 hours.
- Independent channel intensity
- Comes with a premium case
- Highly durable and portable
- Charges in three hours
- Adhesive on the pads might not hold for long
10. MASTOGO Wireless TENS & EMS Unit Back Pain Relief Massager
- ❤【Your Personal Tens Unit Massager】Our wireless tens unit muscle...
- ❤【Wireless Bluetooth Mobile Phone APP Control】 Mastogo TENS machine does...
- ❤【Six Unique TENS & EMS Modes】MASTOGO wireless TENS & EMS units programmed...
- ❤【Portable and Easy to Use】Tens unit wireless is a new massage experience...
- ❤【Rechargeable with USB】Never worry about need to replace dead batteries...
Mastogo’s cordless TENS unit has all the essentials, including reusable electrode pads, a highly conductive carbon layer, and a high-quality gel build, making it suitable for usage on virtually any area of the body. The included PU case and pad holder make it ultra-portable, and the built-in rechargeable battery ensures that you may unwind for hours without worrying about running out of juice. There are a total of six distinct modes and twenty adjustable intensities on this gadget, all accessible via a straightforward user interface.
- Long battery life
- Premium quality construction
- Lightweight and pocket-sized
- Ideal for relieving all kinds of muscle pain
- Phone app might not be user-friendly
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Choosing Tens Unit
A pre-programmed timer on your device can be a great option if you want to simply set up your machine and use it for a preset length of time.
Timer lengths vary greatly between devices, often going up in increments, so be sure to check when shopping about. Many units also contain an automated shut off feature which can be short on some devices generating irritating when you need a lengthier reprieve from pain.
You will also want to evaluate what kind of batteries your gadget relies on. Standard replacement batteries are obviously easy to get, however some machines might be a little thirsty when it comes to power, so you may want to invest in a pack of rechargeable batteries.
A number of contemporary devices feature built-in lithium rechargeable batteries, meaning you don’t have the cost of replacement batteries and can just charge your device between usage.
The majority of devices on the market now are dual channel with independent intensity controls.
With this type of equipment you can use two or four pads at one time, as the number of channels coincides with the number of pads you can use.
Therefore with a dual channel machine, each channel includes two pads, which means you can apply a different intensity level on separate sections of your body.
It can seem unimportant but getting an adequate screen that offers you the size, clarity and readability that you want is actually vital.
Some come with separate controllers, some are touch screen so you might want to think about what you can work with, as there’s nothing more aggravating than having a system that you can’t operate or read.
What is included with the unit? An in car charger? Additional pads? When comparing pricing look hard at exactly what is on offer.
While a few extra pads isn’t likely to impact a decision on a high-end machine, they could on a $30 device.
Many TENS units are also compatible with add-on accessories, such as TENS belts and socks, to help you receive even more from your machine.
Even modest changes like a belt clip can make your unit more convenient to operate!
The majority of machines ship with a one-year guarantee, a handful have two years of insurance and some have cover for only 90-days.
It’s worth evaluating how long the warranty is and exactly what it covers, to help you compare one machine with another.
Always keep in mind that the TENS device is meant to help you relax, not cause pain. Don’t forget that it’s fine to use some trial and error to figure out what works best for you on a given day. The following are answers to some of the most common inquiries we’ve received about transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS).
i) Where on my body can I use TENS?
If you’re experiencing pain in your lower back, you can try applying this technique to either side of your spine, your shoulders, your knees, or your hips.
ii) How often can I use TENS therapy?
Just 15–20 minutes once a day to begin with is a good place to start. This time might be broken up into two or three sessions every day. The maximum recommended daily use time for a TENS unit is one hour.
Trusted Source, the 2007 reference used as the gold standard for TENS recommendations, recommends that TENS users experiment with several settings until they find one that works best for them.
iii) How long is it OK to use it at a time?
Commonly seen on electronic devices is a timer with a default setting of 20 to 30 minutes. The typical time limit is between 60 and 1 hour. There’s a temptation to rely on TENS for hours every day if it’s helping your pain, but doing so is not advised. With this treatment method, less is more. If you push yourself too far, you may end up making your discomfort much worse by sensitizing your nerves.
iv) Can I use a TENS unit on my spine and neck?
No. Electrode pads should never be placed on the spine without proper precautions. The pads can be placed on either side of the spine to provide pain relief without the risk of injuring or irritating the spinal column.