A vacuum sealer is useful whether you plan on using sous vide or just want to maximize your storage capacity. The best vacuum sealers are easy to use and prevent freezer burn by keeping food fresh in the freezer. Leftovers like chili and pasta, as well as fresh meats and fruit, can all be preserved with the use of a vacuum sealer. Sous vide bags for your vacuum sealer are a need if you plan on doing any sort of sous vide cooking. Find out which of the top-rated vacuum sealers is ideal for you by reading on.
Since it was first published, this article has been double-checked for relevance, currency, and availability. We are confident in the vacuum sealers we recommended.
Top 10 Vacuum Sealer Consumer Reports: Editor Recommended
The 10 Best Vacuum Sealer Consumer Reports Review:
1. Nesco Deluxe Food VS-12 Vacuum Sealer
- OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE: 130 watt, 25. 1 InHG double vacuum pump for optimal...
- VARIABLE SETTINGS: Includes 3 settings - dry, moist and double. Plus, you can...
- EASY-LOCK HANDLE: The easy-lock handle makes one-handed operation smooth and...
- DOUBLE HEAT SEAL: Optional doubleheat seal provides added strength and security...
- BUILT-IN STORAGE & BAG CUTTER: Conveniently stores any brand of vacuum sealer...
During our tests, the Nesco VS-12 Deluxe Vacuum Sealer’s performance was on par with or better than that of models costing twice as much. It is also easy to use and has multiple settings to achieve optimal results for different types of food. The bag can be sealed using settings designed for either dry or moist meals, such as cereal or raw meat, and a double heat seal can be made using the same settings. The air inside your sealed package is completely removed by a pair of vacuum pumps. We saw essentially no air pockets or bubbles after sealing, even with items of a more irregular shape.
To prevent crackers and other fragile treats from shattering, choose from two vacuum pressure settings (normal and mild). By combining the mild setting with the pulse function, the vacuum process can be precisely controlled, protecting delicate baked goods like buns and pastries from being crushed. The Nesco VS-12 was the only sealer tested in our lab that avoided crushing the most delicate food we used: fresh raspberries.
On top of its functional excellence, we adored how simple it was to use: the latch locks securely, and a timer counts down until the lid is manually sealed (although it is a bit slow). Built-in bag roll storage and a bag cutter make it easy to cut bags to the precise size you need, and an accessory connector lets you attach a hose to the sealer for sucking air out of jars and vacuum canisters. This sealer may be used with any brand of vacuum sealer bags, and it comes with two rolls of different sizes to get you started.
- Excellent pulse control
- Great for fragile foods
- Easy to use
- No attachment hose for canisters
2. Mueller Austria Automatic Vacuum Air Sealing System
- Save Money And Time: Cooking and meal preparation is now easier, more economical...
- Couldn’t Be Easier: Fully automatic simple electric plug in design with the...
- Dual Sealing Modes: Useful and practical, the Mueller vacuum sealing system is...
- Trusted Mueller Quality Lab Tested: Vacuum sealers preserve food up to 5 times...
- Everything You Need Right Out Of The Box: Along with the vacuum sealer and the...
The Mueller Austria vacuum sealer is an excellent buy. It’s compatible with different brands of vacuum sealer bags and rolls, and it not only makes powerful seals, but also has an easy-to-use control panel that provides you entire control over the vacuum-sealing process.
It is possible to choose between a mild and an airtight vacuum, so even fragile goods like crackers and soft vegetables won’t be squished. We also had a home tester try out the effectiveness of this sealer by putting it to use on smoothie ingredients including frozen brownie bites, berries, and overripe bananas. It was also great for keeping walnuts from going bad, which she did.
The Mueller may be adjusted for either wet or dry foods, allowing for a more precise vacuum seal to be created. Our laboratory testing demonstrated remarkable suction force and excellent pulse control, enabling you to achieve airtight seals on products of varying shapes and sizes. We were successful in eliminating all crumbs and almost all air pockets from the cereal we vacuum-sealed.
The tiny size was a huge plus for our at-home tester, but it does mean that there is no onboard storage for bag rolls or an inbuilt bag cutter. Nonetheless, we weren’t really concerned about either of these. Also included are a roll of vacuum bags, five medium-sized vacuum seal bags, and an additional air suction hose.
- Quick, strong seal
- Includes accessory port and hose
- No bag cutter or roll storage
- Accessory hose doesn’t include an adapter
3. Anova Culinary ANVS01-US00 Anova Precision Vacuum Sealer
- SEAL THE DEAL: Vacuum sealing is hands down the best way to ensure no air enters...
- WHAT TO COOK: Sous vide cooking s the perfect level of doneness for nearly any...
- POWER AT THE PUSH OF A BUTTON: The all-new Anova Precision Vacuum Sealer...
- EASY TO USE: Simply put your food of choice into an Anova pre-cut or rolled...
- CUSTOMER PROMISE: Designed in San Francisco, CA with a 5 year . Anova delivers...
Although designed for use with the company’s famed sous vide cooker, this sealer has general food-saving utility. The ultra-sleek and user-friendly Anova may be operated with a single touch, and it is made to rapidly and efficiently remove air while sealing well. Use it with smaller bags to serve two people or larger ones to feed a crowd of 10. If the complicated controls and features of other vacuum sealers have put you off, be assured that this one requires no special knowledge or training to operate.
The top controls—a vacuum and seal button, a seal button, and a pulse vacuum button—are simple and effective. As a matter of fact, our lab guinea pigs didn’t even need to consult the user guide in order to master this apparatus. In addition, the sealer closes and latches with very little pressure applied, in contrast to many other types we tried. Results weren’t great with perishables like raspberries, but they were excellent with meat and other munchies.
Its compact size makes it a good choice for households or apartments with limited counter and cabinet space. The basic model does not include any extras (besides from the ten pre-cut bags) that the more expensive ones do. Our in-house evaluator did stress, however, that it does function with less than perfectly symmetrical bags. She noted that a wavy or angled cut made no difference.
- Easy to use
- No accessory port for containers
- No adjustment for sealing dry/moist foods
4. FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer Machine with Starter Vacuum Seal Bags & Rolls
- VERSATILITY & CONVENIENCE IN THE KITCHEN: When food is protected from air and...
- SIMPLE TO USE: Just add food to the bag, insert the open end into the FM2000,...
- STRETCH YOUR DOLLAR: Food preserved with the FoodSaver System and stored in the...
- NOT JUST FOR FOOD STORAGE: Use your vacuum sealer to store liquids and creams...
- SIMPLE TO CLEAN: Exclusively designed, patented removable drip tray, which...
The FoodSaver FM2000 is a vacuum sealer that excels in small-space kitchens thanks to its compact size, light weight, and versatility in storage orientation (vertical or horizontal). This model is really reasonably priced considering how user-friendly it is, with a removable drip tray that makes cleanup a breeze.
Both the cereal and the raspberries survived our laboratory tests with this model of vacuum sealer with little to no damage, and the machine’s ability to vacuum seal strawberries with no juice leakage was particularly impressive. Since then, an updated version has been released to address various user complaints about the last release. I would recommend this to anyone who is interested in trying out vacuum sealing for the first time because of its small size and ease of use.
- Can be stored vertically or horizontally
- Easy to use
- Good pulse control
5. Nesco VS-02 Food Starter Kit with Automatic Shut-Off and Vacuum Sealer Bags
- OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE: 110 watts, equipped with a powerful piston pump with a seal...
- EASY TO USE: Fully automatic, one-touch operation and automatic shut off makes...
- BUILT-IN STORAGE & BAG CUTTER: Conveniently store rolls and bags in unit, while...
- SEALER BAG ROLLS INCLUDED: Two 7. 9" x 9. 8' rolls, Five 8. 6" x 11. 8"...
- COMPATIBILITY: Vacuum chamber accommodates bags up to 11. 8" wide
The Nesco VS-02 Vacuum Sealer is a great option if you need a high-quality appliance but have a limited budget. You can adjust the bag size with ease, and the vacuum sealer’s bag roll section lifts quickly and easily. It also has a built-in bag slicer and large, clearly designated buttons. On top of that, the Nesco can reseal bags of chips and other snacks without having to buy new containers.
Simple operation is achieved by pressing either the “Vacuum/Seal” or “Seal Only” button, with the latter putting an end to vacuuming and producing a seal. You can also choose to cancel if you change your mind. The controls require some dexterity to avoid crushing more fragile things, but once our Lab testers got the hang of it, they were able to properly seal pretzels with minimum breakage and very few air pockets.
Our in-house guinea pig found that raw bacon, peanut butter sandwich cookies, and a banana split in half all worked well. Since our laboratory tests revealed air gaps when sealing ground beef, we do not recommend this for sealing big quantities of raw meat (there is also no drip tray, which makes cleaning a little tough). This is a wonderful deal for the money because of its high performance and useful extras.
- Intuitive control panel
- Built-in bag roll compartment
- Can be used on opened snack bags
- Bulkier than some other models
6. GERYON Vacuum Sealer Machine
- Food vacuum sealer removes air from specially designed bags. Multi- layer...
- Two Sealing Modes: Geryon vacuum food sealer is designed with two selectable...
- Separated Design: you can take off the upper lid to clean the sealer machine...
- Geryon sealer machine designed with fully automatic vacuum sealing operation,...
- Fully Starter Kits: 1x Air suction hose,5 x Heat-seal bags (7.8"*11.8"),1 x roll...
This portable vacuum sealer may lack some of the bells and whistles found on more expensive versions, but it serves its core job admirably: sealing vacuum bags for use in freezing, storage, and even sous vide cooking. It is compatible with pre-made bags in quart and gallon sizes, as well as rolls of vacuum-sealer bags up to 12 inches wide. It’s hard to find a better sealant than this one, and it’s so easy to set up: just plug it in and start sealing. Simply insert the bag’s open end into the machine’s corresponding slot, press down to secure it, and then hit the vacuum button to seal the bag.
Indicators display how much of the bag has been sealed, and you can pause the vacuuming process whenever you like to seal the bag. The ability to use the sealing feature for making bags without first vacuuming is a major plus. We were really delighted with the previous model’s power and usability in the lab, although we did notice that it can be difficult to get a good seal on delicate goods without damaging them. The touchscreen’s sensitivity also necessitates some getting used to.
This vacuum sealer comes with a starting supply of bags and a roll of bags measuring 7.8 inches by 78 inches. There is no bag cutter or built-in bag storage.
- Easy to use
- Lightweight and compact
- Powerful suction good for meat
- Not good with delicate items
- Overly sensitive touchpad
7. FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer Machine with Automatic Bag Detection
- Keep food fresh in the freezer up to 5x longer and in the fridge or pantry up to...
- Automatic bag detection and vacuum sealing means two quick and easy steps to...
- Handheld sealer seals FoodSaver zipper bags, canisters, and containers, and...
- Pull-out drip tray drawer with patented removable dishwasher-safe drip tray...
- 5 year limited warranty
Today, FoodSaver vacuum sealers are among the most popular kitchen appliances. Bag detection initiates the vacuum sealing process, and moisture detection determines the appropriate mode based on the type of food being vacuum sealed (marinated steaks versus pantry snacks, for example). There is an LED light indicator that flashes as the process advances, and the machine powers down automatically once it is finished.
When compared to other vacuum sealers we evaluated in our laboratory, this device had among the highest suction power, making it perfect for vacuum sealing meat. In addition, it proceeded rapidly. The FoodSaver 2-in-1 is the perfect appliance for quickly and easily filling an entire freezer. The one drawback was that it was too powerful for some meals, and there was no pulse control option, so you might need to be more careful with perishables.
While the price may be prohibitive for some, the abundance of useful functions included in the machine more than makes up for it. One of its many convenient features is a removable drawer that conceals a drip tray that can be cleaned in the dishwasher. FoodSaver zipper bags, containers, and canisters are ideal for storing dry goods like cereal, nuts, and snacks, and this sealer has a built-in roll storage area, a bag cutter, and a retractable handheld sealer. It also has a limited warranty that protects you for five years.
- Fully automated and simple to operate
- Powerful suction is quick to seal
- Easy to clean
- Not great for delicate items
8. NutriChef PKVS Vacuum_Sealer_Machine
- The ideal money and time saving solution: Cooking and meal preparation will...
- Easy to operate: Fully automatic simple electric plug in design with the control...
- Two sealing modes: Useful and practical, the NutriChef vacuum sealing system is...
- Lab tested quality: Vacuum sealers preserve food up to 5 times longer than...
- A full starter kit: Apart from the vacuum sealer and the air suction hose, the...
The NutriChef vacuum sealer, with its compact build and user-friendly interface, performed exceptionally well in our lab tests for pulse control. Soup, chicken, and steak are just some of the foods that can be sealed and cooked sous vide style. Gentle and standard settings are also available. The NutriChef performed exceptionally well in our lab testing when it came to sealing perishable foods. Fruits and snacks including strawberries, raspberries, cereal, and pretzels held up quite well. When we used it to seal fresh meat, some juice leaked out but there were hardly any air bubbles left.
This may not be the best option if you need to seal a lot of items at once, as our lab testers found that the machine became rather hot after use. The lack of a removable drip tray also makes cleanup more of a hassle.
In addition to the vacuum sealer itself, the package includes a total of ten reusable vacuum bags, five of medium size and five of extra large. Bags can be easily replaced by ordering more from NutriChef or another supplier.
- Incredible pulse control
- Compact, lightweight design
- Includes hose and wine stopper
- Overheats quickly
9. NutriChef Automatic Vacuum Air Sealing System Preservation w/Starter Kit
- THE IDEAL MONEY AND TIME SAVING SOLUTION: Cooking and meal preparation will...
- EASY TO OPERATE: Fully automatic simple electric plug in design with the control...
- TWO SEALING MODES: Useful and practical, the NutriChef vacuum sealing system is...
- LAB TESTED QUALITY: Vacuum sealers preserve food up to 5 times longer than...
- A FULL STARTER KIT: Apart from the vacuum sealer and the air suction hose, the...
This machine has two dedicated modes – dry and moist. It is particularly important if you tend to package marinated meats for sous vide, oily foods like fish or leftovers with residual moisture, since it will help seal a tight seal regardless of any little droplets of liquid. We like the slip design and sleek buttons on the control panel – it makes it extra easy to wipe down. If you also like to match all of your appliances, this vacuum sealer complements the rest of your kitchen equipment perfectly!
Output: This machine has two dedicated modes – dry and moist. It is particularly important if you tend to package marinated meats for sous vide, oily foods like fish or leftovers with residual moisture, since it will help seal a tight seal regardless of any little droplets of liquid. We like the slip design and sleek buttons on the control panel – it makes it extra easy to wipe down. If you also like to match all of your appliances, this vacuum sealer complements the rest of your kitchen equipment perfectly!
- One-touch operation
- Seals moist foods well
- Four colors available
- Inconsistent results if bag is too full
10. FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer Machine with Sealer Bags and Roll
- KEEP FOOD FRESH LONGER: This FoodSaver Multi-Use Preservation System keeps food...
- VERSATILE: Combines heat sealer and handheld vacuum sealer in one unit; use the...
- PULSE/MARINATE/MOIST/DRY CUSTOM SETTINGS: This unit is equipped with 4 custom...
- MORE FEATURES: Roll storage with built-in cutter bar so you can create...
- EASY TO USE: Simply press vacuum button to remove air and seal, and LED light...
The FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer Machine with 4 Settings is the ultimate machine for food storage and preservation. Featuring 4 different vacuum-sealing settings, this FoodSaver machine seals both moist and dry foods in pre-cut bags or a roll, making it easy to organize your food in airtight containers for long term storage. In addition, the built-in handheld adaptor can be used with resealable bags to seal foods like meat and poultry, while additional attachments are also available to speed up the process even more.
Power through your busiest days with this dependable vacuum sealer from FoodSaver!
- Includes moist, dry and pulse settings
- Features a built-in handheld sealer compatible with resealable bags and other accessories
- Bag storage inside machine
- Positioning the bag for sealing takes some getting used to
Buying Guide: What to Consider When Choose Vacuum Sealer
a) Sealing Settings
Higher-end appliances typically have specialized buttons (for tasks like pulsating or sealing wet items), and some might even be able to seal more than just bags (like containers for marinating foods). Find a model with a “soft” setting if you wish to seal more delicate products like fruits and pastries. Although they have less features and a lower price point, more simple devices tend to take up less room and function well if you only need the bare minimum.
b) Size and Bag Storage
Do you desire a vacuum sealer with bag roll storage? The bags will be cut to length by the machine, and the rolls will always be available. On the other hand, the units themselves tend to be more compact, but you’ll have two distinct things to keep track of if the rolls don’t store inside the unit. Think about how frequently you’ll use your vacuum sealer and whether you’ll need to be able to store it conveniently in a drawer. There are models that are lightweight—just a few pounds—but more sturdy, professional machines will likely require a counter that is more permanently occupied.
c) Included Extras
It goes without saying that you’ll eventually need to purchase additional sealing rolls and bags, but some machines come with a selection of both so you may choose which you like most before you buy more. A suction hose, which may or may not be supplied, can be connected to many sealers through an accessory port, allowing you to use it to seal canisters or even unfinished wine. Even the containers or a cork for your sealed wine are included in some beginner packs.
i) Can you vacuum seal soup, bread, and lettuce?
Yes, with a little know-how, wet meals like soups and stews as well as soft items like bread and lettuce can all be vacuum sealed.
As-is vacuum sealing of liquid products is not possible without creating a mess or overfilling the drip tray of the vacuum sealer. The secret is to first freeze soups, stews, and sauces in a different container or storage bag. The frozen meal should then be sealed in a vacuum bag.
You should freeze bread until it is hard before vacuum sealing it since it is mushy and spongy and will be shattered beyond recognition.
However, lettuce and other leafy greens can be vacuum sealed in a vacuum canister without being overly crushed. Choose a sealer with a hose.
ii) How long does vacuum-sealed food last?
Although there should always be safety precautions taken, vacuum sealing your food can significantly increase its storage time. Brands of vacuum sealers frequently include their own instructions, which you should go by. In general, sealed food stored in the refrigerator will last several weeks and sealed food stored in the freezer can last many years. Meat that has been vacuum-sealed will reportedly keep in the freezer for two to three years. Without vacuum sealing, fish will only last in the freezer for six months, but it will keep for two to three years. 4
Fruit that has been sealed will keep in the refrigerator for one to two weeks and the freezer for two to three years. Rice that hasn’t been cooked can be sealed and kept in the pantry for one to two years.
iii) Where can you buy vacuum seal bags?
Most significant merchants that sell kitchen appliances carry vacuum seal bags and bag rolls. Most vacuum sealers accept bags from any manufacturer. You may make bags of any size by using sealers that feature integrated storage for a bag roll.
iv) How do you clean a vacuum sealer?
Maintaining cleanliness is the best thing you can do to extend the life of any sealer, according to Miller. Cleaning the heat strip that closes that bag is especially important since buildup could result in a weaker seal that could fail during the freezing and thawing process. Cleaning is made more simpler by the fact that certain models include detachable drip trays (and some are dishwasher safe). According to Miller, it could be time to seek for a new freezer if you observe ice crystals developing on your frozen items “like a soft winter frost.” The vacuum may also need to be serviced or replaced if it isn’t sucking all of the air out of the bag as it is being sealed.